Smoking in my gas grill

ytrebil

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently got a gas BBQ and I really wanted to cook a beef brisket... well smoke one. I found a decent recipe online using a gas grill. It's almost 2 hours in.

Picture below is just as I was starting.

2014_11_15_12_38_32.jpg

Anyone know how accurate the Swiss Grill temp gauges are on top? It's reading around 200F but when I poke my meat thermo through the grill, I get around a 240-250F reading.

It's 2.2kg (almost 4 1/2 lbs?) so my plan is to cook it for 6.5-7 hours at no more than 250F.

I wish I bought bigger wood chips though - I only have smaller ones and they burn quite quick (soaked them overnight) and I don't have THAT much left... been trying to move around the smoker so it doesn't burn too quickly. Smells great though.

Any advice welcome!

I have smoked ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder on my Weber Genesis gasser.
I monitor the grate temperature and hold it around 230 degrees.
I put the meat on one side and use the far end burner with the cooking grate on that side removed.
I put my wood chips or chunks (not soaked) in a double layer foil pouch sitting on top of the burner's heat deflector. Use a skewer and punch 4 holes in the bottom of the foil pouch and leave a hole in the top that is about two fingers in diameter.

My grate temperature is about 25 degrees hotter than the lid thermometer indicates.

This picture is at the end of a 14 hour cook, I add smoking bags as they deplete.
Also used a tray with water that had to be refilled a few times with boiling water.

You can cook up some good BBQ on your gasser, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 278
Thanks. Cooking slower than I thought so should be done in around 3 hours. I'll post up some pictures when I'm done.

My gf has some family coming over on Boxing Day, so I'd like to do something similar for then. I was going to perhaps cook it Xmas eve and then when they are over, pop it in the oven on a very low heat for half an hour as I won't have the time to cook it on the day.

I have smoked ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder on my Weber Genesis gasser.
I monitor the grate temperature and hold it around 230 degrees.
I put the meat on one side and use the far end burner with the cooking grate on that side removed.
I put my wood chips or chunks (not soaked) in a double layer foil pouch sitting on top of the burner's heat deflector. Use a skewer and punch 4 holes in the bottom of the foil pouch and leave a hole in the top that is about two fingers in diameter.

My grate temperature is about 25 degrees hotter than the lid thermometer indicates.

This picture is at the end of a 14 hour cook, I add smoking bags as they deplete.
Also used a tray with water that had to be refilled a few times with boiling water.

You can cook up some good BBQ on your gasser, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Cheers - what cut of meat is that and what weight? 14 hours seems a long time! :)

Looks like you have a flat and chashint did a full packer. At 225 F, a 15 + lb, full packer will take in that range of hours.

Looks like you have a flat and chashint did a full packer. At 225 F, a 15 + lb, full packer will take in that range of hours.

I thought that but I guess there's no perspective in his grill to know the size of it as it looks small. That foil tray looks like a takeout one. :redface:

Chasint gave a good run down of what I used to do with my gasser. Hardest part is keeping the temps low and stable. Make sure to cook the brisket until a probe pushed in it goes in smoothly like warm butter.

Keep it up and you'll be wanting a real smoker soon. :mrgreen:

Taking a lot longer than anticipated.

IMG_20141115_191724.jpg

Already been 6.5hrs I think I've had the heat too low. The problem is with 1 burner on Max the temp on the hood wouldn't go over 200. If I put the next burner on as low as possible it takes it to nigh on 300.

I think this still has quite a bit of cook time left!

10 hours in now.

Just took a temp reading and its just over 180 deg in the fattest part. Hopefully only another 30-40 minutes now then.

The crust has seemed to have formed nicely with a solid/crispy feel to it.

I'll stick a picture up once it's on the kitchen side. Will have to be eaten tomorrow now.

Plan was to wrap in foil and heat on 375 in the oven for 30 mins tomorrow? Just to warm it through. Sound okay? Should I save the fat drippings to warm up with the meat or will that short length of time have no concerns for the meat drying out?

Thanks guys.

Cheers - what cut of meat is that and what weight? 14 hours seems a long time! :)

Now that you have 10 hours invested in your cook you can more easily see how the hours can pile up when you get a piece of meat up around 13-14 lbs.
You would think a gasser would hold temperature perfectly but the smoking bags affect the temperature greatly when they fire and deplete.
I cooked it as low temperature as I could and I did not wrap it. It was in a stall at ~160 degrees for hours before it finally started creeping up and then it stalled at 180 for a few hours again.
The pan in the grill is a 1/2 size serving tray.
The grill grate measured front to rear is 22 inches.

That picture was not my first brisket on the gasser.
It took me a few tries before I got it figured out, but you can make some good BBQ once you learn your cooker.

Okay well I'd say it was a success!

The fatty end fell off and eating it is like a dessert. Gorgeous.

I didn't get enough smoke in it but no bother as it tastes great.

IMG_20141116_160912.jpg

IMG_20141116_161426.jpg

Very little fat/juice ran out as cutting it.

Okay well I'd say it was a success!

The fatty end fell off and eating it is like a dessert. Gorgeous.

I didn't get enough smoke in it but no bother as it tastes great.

IMG_20141116_160912.jpg

IMG_20141116_161426.jpg

Very little fat/juice ran out as cutting it.

Outstanding!!!

I tried many different containers for the smoking chips including a cast iron box that looked very much like the one you have in the picture.
My best results were with the double thick heavy duty foil bags and using dry chunks instead of chips.
There is no single way to cook BBQ, everyone has to figure out what works with their equipment so I am not trying to tell you what to do, just relaying my experience.
Cooking a brisket flat that melted in your mouth on your first attempt is a really nice success story.
I am confident you are well on your way to being a true pit master.

I tried many different containers for the smoking chips including a cast iron box that looked very much like the one you have in the picture.
My best results were with the double thick heavy duty foil bags and using dry chunks instead of chips.
There is no single way to cook BBQ, everyone has to figure out what works with their equipment so I am not trying to tell you what to do, just relaying my experience.
Cooking a brisket flat that melted in your mouth on your first attempt is a really nice success story.
I am confident you are well on your way to being a true pit master.

Thanks mate. Advice heeded.

I am already planning my next. I've learned....

- to trust the grill hood temp gauge
- buy bigger wood chunks
- run 2 burners and put the smoke box between the 2
- trust what the core temp is telling you
- to buy an instant read thermo
- give yourself plenty of time!
- position drip trays and foil strategically so the clean up is easier!

Really enjoyed the process and eating it.:)

I'll try and do the Mac and cheese with it that another member did yesterday.

Congrats! You'll be hooked in no time...

Another suggestion. Next time, bump your temps up. On my WSM, my magic number is around 280*. Smoker likes to run there, food cooks faster there, and it still comes out all smokey goodness. And don't get worried if the temps fluctuate any where +/- 25 degrees of your target.

Cooking decent brisket on a gasser is quite a challenge, I never tried during all the years I owned a big gas grill. I have a brother who is a gasman through and through and maybe I'll try to stear him to some of your procedures for success.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Mike

Nice job!!! As stated above, you must find out what works for you and your cooker!! Congrats on a successful cook

Back