rib tips

on this same subject...

For all of you who go to competition and even ones who don't those who don't, I have a general curiosity question. Do you take the time to buy the spares and cut the tips off or do you by them already prepped? If you do make your own, is that your eats while you are cooking the rest?

For all of you who go to competition and even ones who don't those who don't, I have a general curiosity question. Do you take the time to buy the spares and cut the tips off or do you by them already prepped? If you do make your own, is that your eats while you are cooking the rest?

I like to trim my own St. Louis ribs from spares. Lots of uses for the leftover rib tips. :thumb:

Yea full spares trimmed at home. A rack of pretrimmed always seems to cost more, minus the extra meat. I either freeze and cook later or cook with ribs and save for leftovers

Wow. Those look great. I am so use to cutting them up and using them in my beans (and occasionally at comps), I never thought about cooking it in one piece.

Them tips look good.

I've pretty much just "lurked" around here for a few years. Learned a lot.

Growing up on the VA-NC state line watching and helping my daddy with 5-700 pigs I've seen my share of pork products over the past 68 years. Like many I left home and went in various directions including two tours in Vietnam and some other exciting places. Traveling like I did I tasted all sorts of stuff people claim was BBQ. Many famous and successful places put out what people call "Q" but rarely have I tasted the "real stuff". So ... retired I started messing around with it a bit. That leads me to this board.

You guys have some real talent here. Here's what I've discovered. "Q" is as regional as accents. Everybody has THEIR way and for the most part it's all good.

So, back to the topic...... rib tips.

A couple years ago, we got a grant for my VFW post here in Nevada to rebuild our kitchen which was basically defunct for 8-9 years. I volunteered to "git r done" and spent over 400 man hours; tore it all out and refurbished everything except the floor and ceiling. When I finished I said to the guys "well what now" ... blank stares. lol so, I know fish fry's are simple and started doing fish on Friday's. It built up and we do around 40-50 meals every Friday from 5-7 PM. I've been wanting to do Q for some time and cooked some butts for an event months ago that everyone liked. But we don't have a smoker that can do any crowd. I found a used Cook Shack SM 150 a few month ago and bought it. ....... I NEVER cooked with electric before so this is one serious learning curve. It's a good box and can hold about 12 butts and I got enough rib racks to be able to do 24 racks at a time. This past Friday I did 12 racks thinking I would sell it as a 3 bone dinner and half racks if they wanted it. ....... Started serving at 5 pm and sold out at 6:04 PM. LOL

Luckily, I bought the whole rib and trimmed to St. Louis cut. Also luckily, I cooked the tips along with the ribs. (ulterior motive..... cook eats good and I got some for beans, collards etc later) When people came in seeing the plates we were putting out (along with THAT smell) they all wanted ribs. People driving by smelled it ... saw the little sign that simply said "Ribs Tonight" came in wanting go orders. I sliced up all the tips I had and sold them as quick as I could plate or box them up.

I swore to myself I'd take photos but when it started at 5 PM I was busy as a one armed paper hanger chasing a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. So, officially this I guess this didn't happen but next time I do this I am all but certain there will be 8-10 people demanding "rib tips" who didn't even know what they were 3 days ago. Yep, tips are a "good thing" I'll get pictures next time.

One of the reasons I cook whole spares is that portion of the ribs. I cooked some SLS Sat and really missed them.

Back