Came across a few kettles on CL

jamaicamon

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Over the last 2 weeks I have purchased 3 kettles for $100 including parts! I'm a happy man!:mrgreen:

A juicy Lucy is going now!

My new grills!The 22" will be parted out for a UDS and one of the other 18" will have a 80 qt pot on it.

CVO3yHP.jpg

The family getting to know each other!

VCSIPx0.jpg

J Lucy!

ufcRhHR.jpg

Last edited:
Great finds!!!

I did a similar thing this past spring, I purchased a couple of kettles online on the kijiji classified site - not sure if that site is in the states as well (i'm from Toronto, Canada):

one used 22.5" for $15 with no food grate (would have replaced anyways) but not too warped and seals pretty good. Use this mainly for grilling, but have also smoked with it when I had to smoke 25 racks of ribs in 24 hours (yes, done with just 2 weber kettles successfully) for a party.

another I got for $70 OTG 22.5" brand new in box, which I have set up with a smokenator and generally use that as a dedicated smoker (unless I need more grill space for a larger group).

Just from my limited experience, I have not found much that comes close to the value of the weber kettles (especially if bought used on classified sites). They can smoke, they can sear and everything in between for a small price tag. With a few mods and add-ons (ie: smokenator, good thermometer, etc.), they can go beyond just a jack of all trades.

Great finds!!!

I did a similar thing this past spring, I purchased a couple of kettles online on the kijiji classified site - not sure if that site is in the states as well (i'm from Toronto, Canada):

one used 22.5" for $15 with no food grate (would have replaced anyways) but not too warped and seals pretty good. Use this mainly for grilling, but have also smoked with it when I had to smoke 25 racks of ribs in 24 hours (yes, done with just 2 weber kettles successfully) for a party.

another I got for $70 OTG 22.5" brand new in box, which I have set up with a smokenator and generally use that as a dedicated smoker (unless I need more grill space for a larger group).

Just from my limited experience, I have not found much that comes close to the value of the weber kettles (especially if bought used on classified sites). They can smoke, they can sear and everything in between for a small price tag. With a few mods and add-ons (ie: smokenator, good thermometer, etc.), they can go beyond just a jack of all trades.

I'm surprised I didn't smell all them ribs down here in Virginia.

I'm surprised I didn't smell all them ribs down here in Virginia.

HAHA, funny enough many neighbours commented on smelling the smoke in the middle of the night - luckily they are all great and often join for bbq gatherings. Honestly, It was one of the greatest experiences I have had. Attached is a photo of 2 of the 3 trays of ribs before I prepped them. Only thing that I hated was taking off all the membranes. Luckily most came off in one or two pieces.

And as it always seems to work out, the 2nd half of the day/evening of smoking was a torrential downpour. Luckily my buddy came over to keep me company, we were supervising the grills from my covered deck with a few beers. The rain came out of nowhere, so we scrambled to build little mini wood gazebos out of scrap wood to cover both kettles. Can't complain, made it more exciting.

Attachments

• 20140904_151741.jpg
    20140904_151741.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 221
That's a heckuva cook, Zach !!!

Great finds, jamaicamon....some for projects, some for regul;ar use.....careful, it's gotten really out of hand around the Kettle Orphanage around here......:grin:

Over the last 2 weeks I have purchased 3 kettles for $100 including parts! I'm a happy man!:mrgreen:

Congrats! I just grabbed an 18 to add to my weber family for 20 bucks. So that brings my total money spent to 25 bucks. On 1 22.5 OTS, 1 SJ, and the 18. Gotta love the bbq craze. People have money burning a hole in their pocket,..then figure out the don't like to bbq or grill. In a few years we'll start seeing the langs and shirleys for 1000.00 .... LOL... :clap2: ..........I know.... but I can hope........

I used to love buying and selling kettles on craigslist. I once had 11 (down to 3 now). Sounds like you got some great deals. I would look for a cheaper, beat up 22.5" to part out for a UDS though; it would be a shame to cannibalize one in as good shape as that one.

Your post inspired me to check craigslist up here in NH for Webers. I scored a blue performer gold for free. The guy was clearing out his storage space and wanted it gone. He also said it needed to be scrubbed before use because it is so dirty, without doing anything it is already the cleanest grill I own.

Whoa whoa whoa. This was the first time I've heard you can turn an 18.5 into a smoker using an 80qt pot. Is there a definitive guide to doing this? I've always known about the smokey joe conversion, but this is new to me!

I used to love buying and selling kettles on craigslist. I once had 11 (down to 3 now). Sounds like you got some great deals. I would look for a cheaper, beat up 22.5" to part out for a UDS though; it would be a shame to cannibalize one in as good shape as that one.

Good eye:mrgreen:
I have an old one that will be more worthy of a UDS!

Back