Quality of retail brand wood chunks

Deebo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have Western brand wood chunks readily available here in all flavors of wood. It's cheap and plentiful. My general experience is that the cheap and plentiful stuff is rarely the best option. What's the consensus on the quality of this brand? The goal here is to stay away from chemically treated wood and get the cleanest smoke that I can. Is there a more preferred brand?

I get much of my smoking woods from my customers for free from their trimmings and scrap lumber. None of the mills I go to saw apple or peach so I buy the Western brand. I have never once had any issues whatsoever with Western brand chunks. At 80 cents a pound vs some of this $3-$4 a pound stuff I will keep on using the Western. JMHO

The only problem I have ever noticed is that the chunks are kiln dried and are usually too dry to get much fruit flavor out of the fruit woods. Other than that, no other problems. Easy to find and inexpensive.

Omar

JM2C and oak is an oak just like walmart meat is just as good a butcher shop meat it all comes from the same places.

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting that response. Western is super cheap and there's a Meijer around the corner from my house that literally has an aisle full of it so it sounds like that'll be my go-to for wood chunks. Thanks a bunch guys! :thumb:

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting that response. Western is super cheap and there's a Meijer around the corner from my house that literally has an aisle full of it so it sounds like that'll be my go-to for wood chunks. Thanks a bunch guys! :thumb:

I find it cheap at my local BJs, although I haven't seen anything other than hickory and apple. It's been good to me though, and inexpensive, which is important.

They also sell a lot of variety at Home Depot in the Weber brand, but it's just too expensive.

The Meijers near me has all of the flavors. The aisle is like a friggen rainbow! It's glorious! I plan on trying ALL of em!

The Meijers near me has all of the flavors. The aisle is like a friggen rainbow! It's glorious! I plan on trying ALL of em!
ahhhhahahaha I'm the same way, like a kid in a candy store. Our supermarkets are whack around here in CT. We just started selling beer on Sunday! The best we have are duraflame logs.

I can't even comprehend this. Being from Milwaukee, beer almost comes outta the faucets!!

Here in occupied territory, everything is illegal unless explicitly told that it isn't. I'm surprised my smoker isn't illegal, as it's carbon output might effect some heretofore unknown species of bird.

I shouldn't jest, the man will be knocking on my door soon to check for the proper permits.

Here in occupied territory, everything is illegal unless explicitly told that it isn't. I'm surprised my smoker isn't illegal, as it's carbon output might effect some heretofore unknown species of bird.

I shouldn't jest, the man will be knocking on my door soon to check for the proper permits.
Move or take over.:becky:

Ouch! That makes me appreciate this area even more. It's definitely nowhere near as strict!

Move or take over.:becky:
I would definitely love to move! It's not so practical though with most of the family here.

Taking over is really the only option until retirement, and believe me, we're trying. Unfortunately the three Axis cities (Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven) are enough to rule us all.

Mostly, I just smoke meats and cigars, drink bourbon and try to be left the heck alone. And now, I can buy bourbon on Sunday, so there's that.

Ouch! That makes me appreciate this area even more. It's definitely nowhere near as strict!

I will say this...despite life behind the iron curtain...

I have an amazing wife, a beautiful little girl, and a Kamado Joe. Other than a good butcher and wood chunks, I need little else. :thumb:

How much does Meijers sell the Western for? I'm coming up there to work this weekend and if it's cheaper than the Academy stores down here I'll bring a load back with me. Along with the cheese curds.:wink:

We just started selling beer on Sunday!

This is hilarious. I just stayed in a hotel in Shelton on Sunday night, got there are about 8pm and wanted a six pack... Nope! Not gunna happen! So I ate at Longhorn Steakhouse and had a couple beers.

This is hilarious. I just stayed in a hotel in Shelton on Sunday night, got there are about 8pm and wanted a six pack... Nope! Not gunna happen! So I ate at Longhorn Steakhouse and had a couple beers.

I'm sorry to hear you had to stay in CT. But, if you're ever in the area again, Dew Drop Inn across the bridge in Derby has FANTASTIC bar food and excellent drink specials.

Back