Good brisket price?

CookinScuba

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
In my area I never see briskest at the grocery store, but the local family run store had these for $5/pnd and I jumped on it, as I have never cooked a brisket. They had pieces that were about 22" long , but I was reluctant to spend the $55 on a cut I hadn't done, so I got the butcher to cut me one half the size ( he came out with one a little smaller then half , but oh well ). I only went to the store to buy some picnic roasts at $1.19/pnd ( cnd$ ) and came out with this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 234
Well, normally, I would say not a bargain. But, it is point, which is good. And it is comfortable for you, so that is a good thing.

I cry at anything over 2.50 lb but you got the best part of the cow and that is a good price for letting a stranger play with your meat. To bad he trimmed all the fat off.

well if you never see them and it is the point then I guess it's a good deal.:thumb: wish i could get someone to sell me just the points.

I cry at anything over 2.50 lb but you got the best part of the cow and that is a good price for letting a stranger play with your meat. To bad he trimmed all the fat off.

That stranger didn't have the right parts for it to be enjoyable, lol. Our meat prices seem to be a lot different then you guys south of the border. It looked like there was a layer of fat on the underside . I didn't take it out of the package, so I can't verify that until it comes back out of the freezer (been working 7 days a week so no time to smoke meat :crazy:).
I am glad to hear it is the best cut for a brisket. I will be using a KISS method.

For beef in Canada, that seems to be a pretty reasonable price. When living in Niagara Falls, always used to cross to NY to shop at Tops or Wegmans, as meat was generally much cheaper. Looking at the package, I would have guessed that you were sold flat instead of point. If that is the case, the price per pound for flat is very good

That looks like the flat, probably mislabeled. Costco around here sells flat for $6+, so you done good.

HEB in the Houston area today had prime1 briskets selling for $3.27lb.

$2.34 per pound at Walmart in the San Antonio area Texas.

$3.79/lb at Costco here for full USDA Prime. But they charge $5.89/lb for choice points.

brisket-e1443706162548.jpg

Ha, the butcher listed it as pot roast.
Congrats on your first brisket!
I'm sure you're excited about smoking it.
Let us know how it comes out.
Looks like a nice piece of meat to me!:thumb:

Back