Pickled Peppers recipe

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Its been a great year for peppers in my area. I have tons of asst. peppers: cowhorns, pablanos, tobasco to name a few. What I am looking for is a pepper sauce recipe if anyone has one to share. Maybe its more of a brine I am looking for. I love the bottles of Texas Pete sauce you can buy but the problem is those little bottles never seem to last long enough. Maybe its just peppers stuffed into a jar and vinegar poured in and allowed to set for 6 weeks to absorb the pepper taste. Any thoughts anyone?

I used to attempt to make my own version of Red Hot sauce. I can't remember the exact quantities of each but I just put a handful of cayennes in some apple cider vinegar with a little salt. I ended up putting just a bit of tomato paste in mine for color. Boiled it all together and then let it cool before pureeing and straining through a coffee filter. It never turned out the same as the stuff you get from stores. It ended up being too time consuming and I can get a gallon of it at Sam's for under $10.

I do make a clear "pepper sauce" that I use on blackeyed peas, greens, etc. I pack an empty half gallon whiskey bottle several inches from the top with cayennes. Poke holes in the pepper to make hotter. Heat some apple cider vinegar up until boiling and CAREFULLY pour over the top of the peppers filling the bottle. Make sure you don't put it in a mason jar with a lid because the vinegar will react with the lid and rust it all together. I haven't found anything yet that works better than a whiskey bottle with a plastic top.

Back