Larger cook for me and amount of food ?

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm cooking for anywhere between 60-70 to 100 people. It's a really broad range because of peoples vacations, weather etc..

There will be a ton of sides and deserts also.

For the meat I got around 35-36 lbs of pork butt, 6 lbs of skinless and boneless thighs, 6 lbs of chicken breast, 5 lbs of wings and 30 hot dogs.

The chicken will be sliced up into pieces and put in hotel trays with stock.

Considering all the sides does that sound like enough for up to 100 or so? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention kids are figured into that#

Last edited:
I'm cooking for anywhere between 60-70 to 100 people. It's a really broad range because of peoples vacations, weather etc..

There will be a ton of sides and deserts also.

For the meat I got around 35-36 lbs of pork butt, 6 lbs of skinless thighs, 6 lbs of chicken breast, 5 lbs of wings and 30 hot dogs.

The chicken will be sliced up into pieces and put in hotel trays with stock.

Considering all the sides does that sound like enough for up to 100 or so? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention kids are figured into that#

Sounds like 4 butts? 4 is good and 1 for safety...I'd agree with that. Anything more than 5 and I think you have too much for 100 people.

I'd consider going higher on the chicken breast. White meat always gets eaten first before dark meat. I usually go for a 70/30 split on white/dark meat.

No opinion on wings

Hot dogs for kids I'm guessing?

Sounds like 4 butts? 4 is good and 1 for safety...I'd agree with that. Anything more than 5 and I think you have too much for 100 people.

I'd consider going higher on the chicken breast. White meat always gets eaten first before dark meat. I usually go for a 70/30 split on white/dark meat.

No opinion on wings

Hot dogs for kids I'm guessing?

Yep 4 butts and they could be a tad bigger than 9 lbs and more like 10 lbs each.
I was wondering about the white/dark percentage on the chicken and I got the wings just to have a snack for some of the people that are helping out. Yes the hot dogs are largely for the kids.

When I am doing a cook like this I always count the kids as adults and plan accordingly, they can be some wasteful little creatures, unless of course they will only be offered the hotdogs. I always plan on having a little extra left over, better to have more than not enough. And what ever is left will either be given away or vac-paced and froze for latter.

Here is an excel sheet I pulled from here awhile ago and just made some adjustments to it. not a bad way to ballpark your food qty's.

Attachments

• BBQ Calc.xlsx
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
Here is an excel sheet I pulled from here awhile ago and just made some adjustments to it. not a bad way to ballpark your food qty's.

That calculator is awesome...Thank you! Looks like I'll be good for what is getting purchased. If there isn't enough chicken and they have to eat some great PP then so be it! :becky:

I think you're light on the pork. Typically folks figure 1/4lb cooked per serving when other meats are being served, At 50% yield that's 1/2 lb raw per serving, so for 100 people (have to plan for worst case) you would need 50 lbs of raw pork.

I think you're light on the pork. Typically folks figure 1/4lb cooked per serving when other meats are being served, At 50% yield that's 1/2 lb raw per serving, so for 100 people (have to plan for worst case) you would need 50 lbs of raw pork.
I guess some of the kids are only eating hot dogs and was told some a chunk only wanted chicken. A party organizer said if we run out of pork we'll just do more hot dogs.

so...60-100 people.....? holy crap thats alot of people....good luck!!
I'll have help on the pulling and slicing so hopefully it'll be smooth! LOL, all I know is i'll be lubricated!

All but the chicken wings are going in the jimmy so that's about 60-65 lbs of meat in a jumbo joe cooker....it'll get a workout! Wings are getting roti'd and a couple dozen corn on the cobs hung.

Don't forget to include me in your count. And I eat like a horse. Guess I'll like bring my PBC so I'll have something to wear on my feet

That food calculator is interesting.
Good luck with your cook Fwismoker!

Don't forget to include me in your count. And I eat like a horse. Guess I'll like bring my PBC so I'll have something to wear on my feet
Bob I'm drinking so you'll have to clue me in on your footwear humor....right over my head. :doh:

That food calculator is interesting.
Good luck with your cook Fwismoker!
Thanks doog....Yea is that calculator cool or what! Props go out to the inventor! :clap2:

Bob I'm drinking so you'll have to clue me in on your footwear humor....right over my head. :doh:

Thanks doog....Yea is that calculator cool or what! Props go out to the inventor! :clap2:

Hungry as a horse...PBC has horseshoes. Get it? Much funnier now that I explained it, or not.

NTTAWWT:laugh:
If there is then some folks better break open their deep freezes/fridges and i'll fire up another cooker!:becky: It's a double block party so the freezers/fridges will be close!

Hungry as a horse...PBC has horseshoes. Get it? Much funnier now that I explained it, or not.
LOL...only out of your brain Bob! Your wife must me used to it though...or not :laugh:

With a group that size it becomes a production and time can quickly get away from you especially in the last 1/2 hour before showtime. If you haven't cooked for a group that size before I suggest you develop a schedule. I've had the clock get away from me a couple times on big cooks in the past, so I actually made up Gantt charts for my different regular big BBQs and leave them where my helpers can see so everyone knows what needs to be done when. Once you start to develop it you will probably have a big chart in front of you that shows you doing 25 different things in the last 1/2 hour which is impossible. Then you can figure what you can shift to the left, or what to assign to a helper.

Today I had a new helper who is a West Point graduate on a bbq for 85 people. His military training showed because he must have memorized the schedule and was actually giving 5 minute warnings on what needed to be done next. Which really helped.

Chris

With a group that size it becomes a production and time can quickly get away from you especially in the last 1/2 hour before showtime. If you haven't cooked for a group that size before I suggest you develop a schedule. I've had the clock get away from me a couple times on big cooks in the past, so I actually made up Gantt charts for my different regular big BBQs and leave them where my helpers can see so everyone knows what needs to be done when. Once you start to develop it you will probably have a big chart in front of you that shows you doing 25 different things in the last 1/2 hour which is impossible. Then you can figure what you can shift to the left, or what to assign to a helper.

Today I had a new helper who is a West Point graduate on a bbq for 85 people. His military training showed because he must have memorized the schedule and was actually giving 5 minute warnings on what needed to be done next. Which really helped.

Chris
Great advice Chris! I've practiced some cooks and methods, put together a pretty good schedule and are getting things lined up for help, tables, trays etc... so it's just not all on me. All very good advice

Good luck with the cook Keith.........

stay hydrated while cooking that desert
So true brother ...so true because i'm planning on being gently lubricated. :thumb:

Good luck with that cook! Your Jimmy will be put to it's toughest test. Make sure you have the hot mitts available. And get lots of Pr0n if you can, interested to see how well Jimmy handles it.

Good luck with that cook! Your Jimmy will be put to it's toughest test. Make sure you have the hot mitts available. And get lots of Pr0n if you can, interested to see how well Jimmy handles it.

Thanks! Yea it will be it's toughest test by far.

First I'm hanging the butts and when they're done I'll wipe down any grease in the pot and re fuel.

The chicken is all getting hung too but I got all natural and breast and skinless boneless so the grease will be less than doing tyson fatty birds! Right over the chicken i'm putting the hot dogs.

I'll bring my camera with me to snap some pics.

Back