Restocking the stash of pulled pork.

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Smoking pork shoulder today. Some will go out to work with me this weekend, most will go into single serving bags and into the freezer for quick sammiches, and additions to chili or bean pots. We pull the bags out when we don't feel like cooking.

Last night, rubbed and on the way into the chill chest for the night.

MA3V5121-small_zpsgsjm6gcb.jpg

Went into the smoker with hickory wood for smoke at 250 degrees around 7 AM. This is what it looked like around 11 AM at an internal temp of about 150.

MA3V5134-small_zps1vkgcbb7.jpg

Pulled the smaller of the two shoulders at an internal temp of 186. I normally do 195 to 200, but this one is ready. It's resting at the moment, before pulling begins.

MA3V5135-small_zpsbkqvpvsl.jpg

The other is still going. It's larger.

I'm doing that today. Although some always goes into sandwiches, most goes into the freezer to be used on pizza. I can't stand ordinary pizza anymore. Pulled pork with salsa in place of tomato sauce-ambrosia.

I might if I had a vacuum sealer. I just put it in freezer bags, mark it and chuck it in the freezer. It never lasts long enough to be a problem.

How does pulled pork freeze? Would you recommend vacuum sealing?
I just put it in a ziplock bag, flatten it out so I can break off what I want, and express the air, then seal. As I remove some, I squeeze out as much air as possible before putting it back in the freezer. The only problem I have is it's so convenient for quick meals that I always run out.

The second, larger pork shoulder, pulled at 190 degrees internal temp.

MA3V5138-small_zpsfka5jwzf.jpg

Large bowl of mostly pulled pork.

MA3V5141-small_zps5uzqkrbv.jpg

Sammich! Grated sharp cheddar cheese, pulled pork, sliced Bubbie's pickles, and a drizzle of barbecue sauce on sandwich round, then grilled.

MA3V5140-small_zpscdk6sd2p.jpg

I only have a few pounds left and I'll be doing it again too.

I put mine in the quart freezer bags though. They seem to hold 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs each which is plenty for my family of four for dinner.

Back