Webber wok question

Simp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I received a wok for my kettle. Does it require seasoning, and if so how is it done. Thanks for the help in advance.

mine came pre seasoned but i like to wash my new ci good and season it with flax seed oil. to season just apply a small coating of oil then into the oven upside down i do mine at 250-300 for an hour let it cool 3 times over make sure you do this over foil or a pan

I just heated mine and oiled it a few times, seems to work, heat your oil, wipe it and repeat a few times till the paper towel shows clean.

I know based on your other thread that I may be too late but this is how anyone cooking professionally seasons a wok.

https://youtu.be/UGXGJD2xTzQ

The whole slow baking at 250 or whatever just leaves a sticky mess in my experience. I have also read on some forums that people will say that if your oil "burns" or turns black when you are seasoning, that you need to soap and start over. This is dead wrong! You want a nice black, hardened, smooth coating. My woks are totally black and have not seen surfactant or detergent since the day I washed the packing oil off them. One is 5 years and the other is 2.5. You could drop a slice of cheese on them with no additional oil and it wouldn't stick.

I couldn't tell if your wok was plain metal or if it had a coating. If it is plain, follow the steps in the video. I'll take some pictures of my stuff later so you can see what I'm talking about.

My wok is stainless steel. It's made for the 22.5 inch kettle. It's to big to do that way. I just coated it with olive oil a few times before ,I used it. Not as nonstick as I would like. Think I just need to repeat the process a few times.

Back