bacon competition

ChuckD

Reaction score
At an upcoming competition, there is a bacon competition with a few different categories; most of which I think I can come up with something. One category though is "bacon in a box," with no garnish. Does anyone have any experience or advice for such a category? Dumb question, but is this really just 6 slices of bacon in a box, sliding all around? I'm confused. Any help is much appreciated.

I'd reach out to the contest itself and see what rules apply. Other then that I got no idea.

Bacon in a box is just as it says. Only bacon can go in the box with no garnish. You can put as much bacon in the box as you want, but you will need a minimum of 6 pieces. Some teams just turn in a pile of bacon, others cut whole slabs into cubes and grill it. Any presentation goes (minus garnish).

Bacon in a box is just as it says. Only bacon can go in the box with no garnish. You can put as much bacon in the box as you want, but you will need a minimum of 6 pieces. Some teams just turn in a pile of bacon, others cut whole slabs into cubes and grill it. Any presentation goes (minus garnish).

Yes what he said, plus you cannot use any seasoning or sauce, just straight up bacon, unless the seasoning was done during the curing the curing process if you are making you own bacon.

I think the push for purity and no garnish has jumped the shark.

How does a bacon comp work? You have to do so much of the work offsite how can you trust someone doesn't just show up with some "Bentons" and cook it up?

Thanks for the help... Should be interesting. Worst case, I just eat the bacon.

I am envisioning a bacon weave (as though you are making a fatty) either 10x10 or 12x12. Lay the weave over the back of an inverted 8x8 steel cake pan with the edges hanging over the sides (think of those microwave bacon bowl thingies). Cook until done.

When the bacon dish has been cooled, then stuff it with any variety of bacon-y goodness that you feel like. The dish shouldn't be considered as garnish, as it is also bacon
bacon3.gif

How does a bacon comp work? You have to do so much of the work offsite how can you trust someone doesn't just show up with some "Bentons" and cook it up?

Some people make thier own, some buy bacon. Either way it is legal for this comp.

WBC RULES:
1. “Bacon” is definition as smoked pork belly for every category. No Canadian bacon,
ham, prosciutto, or un-smoked un-cured pork belly is allowed.
2. You may use store bought bacon (smoked pork belly) or cure and smoke your own
pork belly before the event.
3. Only wood, pellets or charcoal shall be used. No gas or electric may be used in the
preparation or cooking of any of the components including sauces.

CATEGORIES:
Bacon in a Box
 A true test of meat selection and cooking skills
 No garnish, sauce or rub may be applied to the bacon
 Rub is only allowed if it was applied during the curing
and smoking of the pork belly
No Garnish
No Sauce
No Rub
9x9 Container
Breakfast
 Any interpretation of Breakfast
 Must contain eggs in some form
 No dessert items
Open Garnish
9x9 Container
Turkey
 Any turkey dish with bacon
 Judges will be looking for the dish the best highlights
the bacon
 No dessert items
Open Garnish
9x9 Container
Dessert
 Any dessert with bacon
 No store bought cakes, brownies, muffins, doughnuts
pastries, pies or cookies allowed, store bought ice
cream is allowed
 Final assembly and the cooking of at least one main
component must be done on site
 No savory dishes
 Any container/platter/dish is allowed for presentation

Memorial Day weekend in Rochester, NY as part of the Roc City Ribfest.

The wife and I judged there last year and it was amazing what the teams were coming up with in the different categories.

I see a bacon belly ache.
Ed

We did have one when we finished but it was the next day before we got the grins off the face. Worst part was we were signed up to judge the kids steak right after. Good thing a few others wanted to judge so we gave up our seats gladly and did table captain duty instead. It was a great weekend competition.

Roc City Ribfest is a great event and the New England BBQ Society sanctioned World Bacon Championships is a classic 4 category grilling competition. The Team that runs this event makes it really like hanging out with your buddies as opposed to dealing with organizers.

All that ass kissing aside, when it comes to creating categories for this contest. Brian, John & company are straight up EVIL. They make you think and plan like no other contest. I love the challenge...it's AWESOME.

Back