$200 Smoker

fitness210

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a friend looking to get a smoker for her husband and she's wanting to stay under $200 does anyone have suggestions.

14.5" WSM retails for $199.
Capacity will be a little limited compared to it's bigger brothers, but a solid pit.

That's pretty skimpy territory- if you are stuck at $200.00, your pickings will be slim.

Hit Craig's list- and you might get lucky depending on who has what in your area.

You can hit the big box stores -look for cheap electric or a cheap propane- there are couple of each at that price range. Get the one with the best star rating.

If the fellow is handy, I'd suggest a UDS. HARD to go wrong there- but buying one finished off Craig's list could run you into the 300.00 range. Depending on your scrounging ability, you build one for around $100 (or less). If you can score a cheap barrel, it's all downhill from there :grin:

good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with the Weber Smokey Mountain. For the price there is no reason to look at anything else!

Either a Weber kettle, WSM or a UDS.

For $200 a really nice UDS can be built along with a digital dual probe thermometer purchased. And building a drum smoker is definetly much more of an experience than buying a box store unit and putting it together. Just my .02.

Good luck and happy smoking!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just my opinion
1 - UDS
2 - 18" WSM on cl
3 - 22" weber kettle

Last edited:
I think we are missing the question. The wife probably isn't going to build a uds. Maybe she can but let's give her options she can buy in a box.

I know there are a lot of good propane and a few electric in that range. I also know they aren't the most popular on this forum but in that range they can still turn out some good grub! Personally I'd go that route, keep it easy for what's probably a first smoker and then he can upgrade if/when he decides he likes the hobby.

How handy is he and does he enjoy a project? For $200 you could get a barrel,step bit, pipes and parts for a UDS with enough money left over to buy beer and meats for his first cpl. of cooks. Then he can come join the Brethren and see how they are built and run.

Pulled my UDS out of retirement for a bulk cook i needed to do a cpl. weekends ago. After a year of sitting, held 300 like a champ. Forgotten how easy they really are to run.

A coworker of mine's wife emailed me with the exact same situation. She wanted to get him a smoker for under $200. I suggested going the 18.5" WSM route for only $100 more and he'd be set with that smoker for as long as he cares to be. In my experience, the cheaper smokers can get frustrating to run, especially for someone fairly new to bbq. This was a combination birthday/father's day gift. She asked his parents to pitch in a few bucks, some charcoal, etc. He couldn't be happier with it and cooks some killer chicken!

If you arent opposed to used. You can get 18 inch weber smokey mountains on craigslist for 150 all day long. Hell if you're really patient, you can get a big green egg for less than 200 like i did :)

I would recommend a 22" Weber Kettle and a smoke and sear for it. You should be able to get both for $200. He can grill and smoke with this.

Back