• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SRF Wagyu brisket...Which to buy

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've finally arrived at the point where I'm cooking consistent brisket and I'm ready to try a SRF wagyu. The question is do I purchase the black or the gold.

Either one won't be an easy sell to the wife but we have family coming in town from out of state and everyone loves brisket. I figured this would be a great time to try it.

Any input is appreciated.

Gold is worth the difference in my opinion.

I'm wanting to try one as well. I sure hope there's truly enough taste diff. to justify that much more cost.

I'm wanting to try one as well. I sure hope there's truly enough taste diff. to justify that much more cost.

I meant in my post that if he was going to pay for a wagyu from SRF, what little more money there is black to gold is worth it imo.

I'm w/ SDAR. Spending that much may as well fork the extra $50 give or take. The Golds are graded/rated higher than the blacks and in my experience with other Wagyu cuts the higher the score significantly better the beef.

I tasted my first wagyu brisket at Johnny's class and it was amazing. He cooked 3 gold grade snake River farms briskets for the class, and I ate as much as I could of it. I just ordered my 1st gold grade wagyu brisket for a comp in may. I usually cook prime brisket, but the wagyu was way better than the prime.

You're paying too much for commodity wagyu culled steers. Snake River is simply an added price and bloat middleman. Do your research and u should be able to find prime +6-8 100% wagyu for >$10 pound.

Fyi... I'm paying $6lb for 55-58lb cases plus shipping.

Guess which one isn't commodity beef
13yl9au.jpg

Last edited:
You're paying too much for commodity wagyu culled steers. Snake River is simply an added price and bloat middleman. Do your research and u should be able to find prime +6-8 100% wagyu for >$10 pound.

Fyi... I'm paying $6lb for 55-58lb cases plus shipping.

Guess which one isn't commodity beef
13yl9au.jpg

Where are you getting them from?

Checkout KCCOMPETIONMEATS Keith Sisk he sells Premier Protein Wagyu...good stuff. You can save on shipping.

I meant in my post that if he was going to pay for a wagyu from SRF, what little more money there is black to gold is worth it imo.

Oh, I knew what you meant...I was just posting about buying a Wagyu in general. I really love brisket and am almost afraid I love it too much and go broke trying to buy the expensive stuff instead of what I've been buying. lol

Oh, I knew what you meant...I was just posting about buying a Wagyu in general. I really love brisket and am almost afraid I love it too much and go broke trying to buy the expensive stuff instead of what I've been buying. lol

Lol, definitely truth to this.

im telling yall ..do your research. make some calls. I could take the ones i get ..trim some of that beautiful white fat off and call it a "competition cut" then jack the prices up to a ludicrous level and call it a day...BUT

BBQ is supposed to be enjoyable and AFFORDABLE for all..

is wagyu better? yes but only if its true 100% wagyu... at the very best most of what is sold as wagyu is a f1 hybrid cross with an angus.

there are 4 ranches presently and roughly 40,000 head of wagyu cattle in the united states. To put that into perspective - there isn't enough wagyu beef to supply one or 2 large chains of steak houses. You have to find the ranches and deal with them directly. And no .. you can't buy just one.

The cows grow extremely slow, are much smaller than our hearty american breeds, and the mortality rate of the calves is high ..sometimes >10%. its a very weak breed, but very tasty.

Lastly, until im certain some douche canoe won't resell my wagyu source at some retarded pricepoint .. i won't give away my legwork. And yes .. people have already attempted to do it. Luckily - my source notified me that this was happening and ended it.

Remember - BBQ is supposed to be AFFORDABLE

oh ..if one of yall happen to be close to me ..or are passing through lafayette.. i'll happily sell you one for my cost provided you give me your word you won't go do the douche canoe thing... which presently is roughly $6/pound + $1.20/pound shipping (2 day fedex).

*i should note that I'm not knocking SRF at all. They are welcome to charge whatever they want..as people are certainly welcome to pay whatever they want...

Last edited:
Well dang... Can't trust anything anymore I guess. Wagyu not being true Wagyu and overcharged for it.

I don't cook enough to buy a bunch of them, so I guess I'm screwed to try true Wagyu.

Well dang... Can't trust anything anymore I guess. Wagyu not being true Wagyu and overcharged for it.

I don't cook enough to buy a bunch of them, so I guess I'm screwed to try true Wagyu.

If you're willing to spend upwards of $200 for 1 brisket... Why would u not spend $400 for 4?

Where can I get 4 "Wagyus" for $400? :becky:

That's the right attitude. Actually... The $400 price includes the ludicrous 2day FedEx fee. I'm going to try 3day ground next which should shave almost $100 from that price.

I'm fairly certain 3 day is fine as my pork is sent 3 day ground from Iowa and is just fine.

I'd certainly pay 4/ $400 or less..... Long as I can keep them frozen until needed for a cook. It's just me (sometimes share with family / friends).

I'll make an analogy here:

I'm sure yall have heard of stubhub.

Once upon a time if one wanted to buy some tickets to watch a ballgame u could roll the dice at the ticket office waiting in line for good seats or... U could pay a scalper. Essentially you're paying the scalper for his connections, the convenience, and his time in return for the seats u want.

Above said sporting complex and team became wise. If they're selling these tickets at $50 each with the intention of fans being able to afford to attend and scalpers are buying them up... And getting $150 for each... Why would the complex not also sell the seats for $150 totally eliminating the scalper while pocketing the additional money?

Hence... We now have stubhub..thanks to douche canoe scalpers... And no longer are $50 tickets available for choice games or concerts,

Back