I'm Building a Pizza Oven...

Pizza!! Finally got some actual pizza in the oven over the weekend. The oven performed great, I on the other hand had some issues. Had three pizzas on done up, ready to slide into the oven, but only one of them "slid" ito the oven. I even know better. Anyway, had more dough and toppings so I whipped up a couple more and ate!

The oven did great. I only have a couple pics but if I wasn't there to screw it up, we would've eaten much earlier.

Live and learn.

Attachments

• IMG_8310.jpg
    IMG_8310.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 368
So, a few more details and I will be able to call this thing finished. I'm going to add a shelf on the bottom and finish the stand with polyurethane. I painted the face around the oven opening flat black as well. another day of work and this thing will be finished...

Thanks for all the great feedback and comments. If anyone is going to seriously attempt something like this and wants any info outside of what I have not brought up, I'm happy to give my 2 cents on my experience on building this.

More to come!

I built a similar oven and have been using it for months. You do develop cracks that may in the long term ruin your oven. Mine started as hairline cracks releasing moisture and have developed into ones that actually release a little smoke. I expected it and am not disappointed as the oven works great and the cracks do not diminish the performance. I have probably run it 10 times with food and the cracks do gradually get larger. Enjoy it!

This is such a cool thread and I'd love to build one, but ^^that^^ makes me worried. If the cracks keep getting bigger its only a matter of time before they become a structural issue.

For about $6, you can buy a caulking tube of "mortar" that's fire-rated.
I used it to repair a 24" section of cracked tile in my chimney when it failed inspection. The Fire Marshall passed it after the repair.

corn meal on the peel...

Pizza!! Finally got some actual pizza in the oven over the weekend. The oven performed great, I on the other hand had some issues. Had three pizzas on done up, ready to slide into the oven, but only one of them "slid" ito the oven. I even know better. Anyway, had more dough and toppings so I whipped up a couple more and ate!

The oven did great. I only have a couple pics but if I wasn't there to screw it up, we would've eaten much earlier.

Live and learn.

Make sure and put a bit of corn meal on your pizza peel before you put your dough on it.

This will act a bit like ball bearings and help the pizza to slid off the peel and into your oven.

I just read through the whole thread...VERY interesting!!

I have NO talent for building things, nor tools. However, I do have friends that do and I am able to home-brew and cook...so, I might get them to help me on something like this!!!
:)

Cayenne

This is such a cool thread and I'd love to build one, but ^^that^^ makes me worried. If the cracks keep getting bigger its only a matter of time before they become a structural issue.

I thought about that too but the benefits outweigh worrying about cracks. I expect it. My green egg cracked, both the fire ring and fire box. It's going to happen.

So, weekend #2 of pizza. What have I learned to this point

#1. Cracks happen and I'm cool with it. As I mentioned before, I expected it.
#2. '00' pizza flour makes a HUGE difference with extreme heat. I had been using King Arthur bread flour but the heat gave it a burned, acidic taste. 00 just gets better flavor with high heat.
#3. This thing is versatile. I can roast, bake, sear. Threw some raw, whole sweet potatoes in after the pizza was done and they cooked completely in 45 minutes.

I love this thing and I'm thrilled at the performance.

Really...! I mean Really!!!! I'm in the middle of buying a smoker after deciding I want more than my weber kettle and now THIS! You guys are gonna ruin my savings account. This looks awesome and I got a perfect spot in the back yard....gotta build. I live 40 mins away, when is pizza????

Really...! I mean Really!!!! I'm in the middle of buying a smoker after deciding I want more than my weber kettle and now THIS! You guys are gonna ruin my savings account. This looks awesome and I got a perfect spot in the back yard....gotta build. I live 40 mins away, when is pizza????

I'll take the blame or the credit depending on how it turns out. It was tons of fun, relatively cheap considering buying one at $1500+ and it's awesome. I think for all materials and pizza peels (not cheap...) I might have $500 into it? Nothing to sneeze at but a far cry from $1500+.

I can't wait to try roasting in this thing. Got the custom made steel door, painted the face black and added a shelf. A little touch up here and there and a coat of spar urethane and I think I'm done.

Take a look...

Attachments

• IMG_8345.jpg
    IMG_8345.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 337
Back