Trying to decide if I should buy a BGE/Kamado Joe

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
A recent post talked about some of the benefits and issues of ceramic cookers.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205267

I'm in a similar spot to the OP from that thread. I already own a Weber Genesis for most of the grilling, a Rec Tec for smoking and a Blackstone for pizza. So I don't really NEED anything else.

There are two, well actually three, reasons I'm considering it.

First, I've been thinking I'd like to play around with something that's a little less completely idiot proof than the RecTec and to a lessor degree, the Weber

Second, the one legitimate issue I have is that I'm not completely happy with how the Rec Tec does in the kind of absurdly cold temperatures we've been having. It works fine -- it is every bit as easy to use at 0 degrees as 85. The issue is more the lack of smoke flavor given how much harder it's having to work to get to and maintain the target temp. I have a welding blanket over it but it doesn't really change the outcome even when I use a smoke tube.

Finally, I can pickup either a large BGE or Kamado Joe Classic for a very good price (though that's relative)

Winter aside I could solve my itch to try something new with a used Weber Kettle for $20 or $30 -- a heck of a lot less than the other options. I think I would like something insulated though and I think that something like a vertical smoker would be even more than the Kamados. It would have more capacity too but that's not really a priority as it's pretty much just cooking for the family in the winter.

Thoughts?

The other decision I have is which brand to buy. I don't think there is really much difference in performance. I lean towards the KJ for it's better bang for the buck (probably a couple hundred cheaper) but I suspect that the BGEs hold their value better given enthusiasm of the user base.

I'm partial to BGE, but both BGE and KJ are quality cookers. Both will do a good job in the winter once you get them hot, but they also burn efficiently so the smoke flavor will be lighter. You can add more wood, but you'll have to play with it.

I love my BGE so very partial to ceramic cookers. It was a combo birthday/Christmas gift from my wife and it's been greatly enjoyed every time that it was used.

If you can get either a BGE or a KJ for a good price go for it!

Can't go wrong with a Kamodo Joe! I love mine. If you get one get a Big Joe. AlwYs better to have more room than you need and not use it than to need more room and not have it! :-D

I have one of each. There is little if any difference in the two other than color. They function and cook identical. Both are top of the line Kamados. Just pick the one that cathes your eye the most and go for it. You can't loose my friend.

Big Joe Owner checking In

Went with it cause I wanted black :mrgreen:

And got a lil more bang for the buck as you stated.

Can't go wrong with either :thumb:

I've got a large BGE and a Kamado Joe Jr. There is noticeable difference in the thickness of the ceramic on the Jr. Also, the large BGE is hardly warm on the exterior when the Kamado Joe is pretty hot when run at the same temps. I am very happy I bought both of them but I am not in a cold climate. All good choices!

I like the Big Green Egg. It's as basic as it gets and very high quality. Not overstyled like the other brands too.

I have no experience with the Kamado Joe, but I definitely am a fan of the BGE - a great, quality product. I don't own one, but a close friend does and he pumps out some awesome food. I have personally ended up opting for the weber kettle. BGE and kettle are different systems and in all honesty - it doesn't really make sense to me comparing them against each other. The insulation of the bge would certainly be better (not a knock against the kettle, but extra points for bge in that category). The main thing I like is the pricing of the kettle, plus I enjoythe simplicity of it and the quality. I own 5, and have one set up as a smoker, one for general grilling, one I turned into a dedicated wood fire pizza oven. Purchased them all used for between $20 to $40 (except one, that I got new - the smoker one). But saying that, that is just what I have fun doing - and if I find a good deal on a BGE, I would certainly consider it to add to the collection but it's definitely a big significant purchase. Get both! haha - I always believe picking up a $20 kettle from a classifieds site is worth the purchase - they are fun to play around with. and if you don't like it, you can turn it into an ice bucket/cooler to store beer.

i was in the same boat a few years back when i joined the forum here. owned a wsm and several kettles & loved them.

wanted to build a wood fired oven which led me to kamados and i was very impressed that one kamado could replace everything that i had.

i saw the kamado joes and BGE's in person and that did it for me, i have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic and Junior. they perform awesome and include cart, shelves, heat deflector and divide and conquer cooking system in initial price.

Hold rock-solid temps in any outside temp.

C6991F73-C3A6-45E7-A7FA-17D326FA2F82.jpg

i was in the same boat a few years back when i joined the forum here. owned a wsm and several kettles & loved them.

wanted to build a wood fired oven which led me to kamados and i was very impressed that one kamado could replace everything that i had.

i saw the kamado joes and BGE's in person and that did it for me, i have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic and Junior. they perform awesome and include cart, shelves, heat deflector and divide and conquer cooking system in initial price.

That picture pretty much sums up why I'm thinking about it. It hasn't been quite as bad where I am 100 or so miles west of you bud enlightened that some insulation seems like a good idea

Have you looked into the Char-Griller Akorn? They are not made out of ceramic and not top-quality as a BGE/Kamado Joe, but it does the same job for a fraction of what they cost. No pun intended for all the BGE/Kamado Joe's owners out there. I'll be honest I would love to have a Primo XL.

I know I know you pay for what you get. I've had mine for over 3 years and it sits in the weather all year. I do have a thick cover for it though. It still produces awesome BBQ and steaks/burgers.

And my friends think I am the only crazy one who uses his Kamado in the winter. I built a skating path to the BBQ area so I could keep on grilling while playing hockey with my boys.

10922530_10155109163670084_1228747916614264033_n.jpg

Have you looked into the Char-Griller Akorn? They are not made out of ceramic and not top-quality as a BGE/Kamado Joe, but it does the same job for a fraction of what they cost. No pun intended for all the BGE/Kamado Joe's owners out there. I'll be honest I would love to have a Primo XL.

I know I know you pay for what you get. I've had mine for over 3 years and it sits in the weather all year. I do have a thick cover for it though. It still produces awesome BBQ and steaks/burgers.

I have looked at it and agree, it's a good solution for the cost. In this case though I can get the KJ for not a whole lot more so would probably go that route. The egg is a bit higher but still a good deal

give this guy a call. Going out of business he has brand new kj classic for like 500$. not that far from you his name is mark 845 551 4673

give this guy a call. Going out of business he has brand new kj classic for like 500$. not that far from you his name is mark 845 551 4673

Yep, that's where I'm planning to get it. Need to confirm it works for him but will probably head out there on Friday

Back