Old Country Pecos vs Wrangler vs OKjoe Highlander vs Longhorn

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm near ready to pull the trigger on an offset. And I can't figure out which one to get. First of all are the Old Country's flat out better than the Oklahoma Joes? I'm making the assumption they are. With that said I think the larger single surface cook area of the Pecos is more attractive to me than the dual surface cooking area of the Wrangler. The Wrangler has better reviews on Academy though. Can anyone else chime in? It should be noted that I'd need Academy to ship the pit to me as well. Whereas I can probably pick up an OK Joe locally.

Heavier steel on Wrangler, but I'm going with the Pecos.

My understanding is that Old Country is a better choice than the OK Joe

I have a Wrangler and love it. That Bandera lists at 198 lbs. The Wrangler lists at 225 lbs, but I think they are every bit of 250 lbs. Mine took 4 guys at Academy to load it into the back of my truck and it was all me and and a 240 lb rock solid buddy could handle to unload it. Hurt my back in the process.

Get the Pecos.! Get the Pecos.! Get the Pecos.! Get the Pecos.! Get the Pecos.! Keep the Pecos.!

Fully Welded, Larger, Large Grate Level Exhaust, Lid Bracing.

I was going to pull the trigger on Pecos in the spring but got busy... Just waiting for fall and another one is getting a new home!

Highland - Too Small. Wrangler - Too Small. LongHorn- Nice size. Pecos - Nice size.

Wrangler - 11 guage with 3/16" doors- Fully Welded. Pecos- 14 guage with 11 guage doors - Fully Welded. Longhorn - 14 guage - bolt together.

Last edited:
I thought the Wrangler was thicker steel than the Pecos?

The Brazos is a BadAzz 1/4" Unit for $999 but I'd add a counter weight to the cook chamber door........ I believe it has an upper shelf as does the Wrangler. Pecos does not but would be Easy to add.

I have cooked on the Wrangler, Pecos and Longhorn. Not a lot of difference in them but I prefer Pecos. Wrangler is just too small for my liking- short cook chamber and the hotspot eats up 3-4 inches of it. Same on Pecos and Longhorn but they got inches to spare (Must be nice :twitch:) ........Convection plate works better in the Longer Pecos and Long Horns.............When Fully loaded the Pecos flows better than LongHorn with it's Bigger Grate Level exhaust.

All of these Old Country smokers seem like a really good value. I think if I was inclined to go for 1/4", I'd be looking at the more expensive units like LSG, but man, that Pecos is sweet for the $$

I'm real happy with my OKJ Highlander. Got a good deal on it. Looks like Walmart is doing a clearance these days, so you might be able to pick one up stupid cheap.

Had to work with it a bit... make a convection plate. Learn some fire management...
I only use it occasionally & it does a great job. Cooks plenty of food for us. Could easily do two full packer briskets or 3 racks of ribs. I usually only cook 1 brisket or 2 racks BB or SL ribs on it. Not really sure of how much product I could cook on it. It produces the best BBQ of any of my cookers.

It seems to me that your location/climate could be a consideration in your purchase. Where I live (inland SoCal), temperatures are moderate all year long & for the most part I have low relatively low humidity. I don't have to contend with freezing temps or super cold winds while cooking. So you may not need 1/4" thick metal. Rust isn't a big deal around here. I keep the rig painted & covered. It should last a long time.

I'm real happy with my OKJ Highlander. Got a good deal on it. Looks like Walmart is doing a clearance these days, so you might be able to pick one up stupid cheap.

Had to work with it a bit... make a convection plate. Learn some fire management...
I only use it occasionally & it does a great job. Cooks plenty of food for us. Could easily do two full packer briskets or 3 racks of ribs. I usually only cook 1 brisket or 2 racks BB or SL ribs on it. Not really sure of how much product I could cook on it. It produces the best BBQ of any of my cookers.

I picked up a Highland recently for $139 at Wally World. I assembled it but decided to get some food grade RTV and gasket material before using it. I decided to go budget since I will most likely use my drum more. I've got decent fire management skills so it should serve it's purpose well.

Back