Not Paella in a Paella [pic heavy start to finish

bergenguy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I didn't have any snails or rabbit on hand, so I couldn't make a Paella (the dish), but I did have a bunch of stuff from the garden and forest that goes good with rice... so I decided to make rice with things in my Paella (the pan). I also finally created a photobucket account and thougth this would be a good way to figure out how to post pics from photobucket. So here goes..

First, the most important step, browning the chicken.

Then I threw in some freshly picked Chanterelles.

Add some Chorizo (while praying to the Paella gods for forgiveness for adding it). push it to the sides and begin the sofrito with box grated tomatoes from the garden.

After adding some garlic and pimenton (once the tomato is cooked down a bit so they don't burn), I threw in some Roma beans from the garden and some butter beans... from a can :oops:.

Add water (3 times as much as the rice I will add), and a big stick of rosemary

Now is a good time to have a cold drink and catch up on some magazines that have been stacking up

Once it came to a boil, I added salt and saffron and let boil three minutes more before removing the Rosemary and adding the rice in a cross

I stirred the rice a bit to even it out in the pan and that was the last I touched it, so that the top layer of rice could form correctly

After about 20 minutes I started 'checking' it to see if it was done, once it sounded like the bottom was frying rather than steaming I let it go a little more to form the soccarat.

On the table at last

Well, that's that! thanks for following along, hope you found it interesting or at least mildly amusing.

That really looks good. Nice job!

Looks beautiful and I can just imagine how good it must taste.

Where's the plated shot? How was the soccarat?

That's a great looking cook, and not a bad little tutorial to boot.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Re. the questions:
- Tasted good, although I fell it was a little under-salted. I made the Rookie mistake of salting till the liquid tasted good, but should have done until it tasted a little too salty. That rice really negates the power of the salt. But overall no complaints from the family.

- Soccarat came out good, but not the 'best' I've done. Pulled it a hair early... wasn't really in the mood to take the flight of Icarus and see how far I could go before burning it. Today I just pulled on sound, but usually I pull when I can smell the caramelization of the bottom layer.

- Sorry no plated shot, although we did eat it off plates today (usually better to give everyone a spoon and eat straight from pan so in every spoonful you get the right ratio of all three layers of rice). Once it's ready to go, best not to step between my family and food to take a picture :icon_smile_tongue:

Looks like as a bonus to figuring out photobucket, I am also figuring out these emoji things.. I'll find my way into this century yet :heh:

Boy I have no idea what any of this dish is suppose to resemble...I got a lot to learn....either way thisndishblooks amazing...i need a plate now!

Excellent work! I've done the exact same thing in my paella (from Latin: patella, which means pan, which is also where the name of that bone in your knee comes from). First brown the chicken, add veggies, some stock and lastly rice. I also did a bolognese sauce and cooked ravioli in it. Good stuff!

Paella is next on my list of cooking challenges. Yours looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the photos. :eusa_clap

Man that looks fantastic!

I've not been to Spain, but I've been elsewhere in the world and had it. Boy is it good, and you can't beat it if there is seafood on it too!

Where did you get the pan?

Ed

Back