Going To See What All The Hype Is About With Oakridge Rubs

@chicken Does the Carne Crosta have a pronounced coffee taste
When you smell it, you can smell the coffee but once you're done cooking it's not as pronounced, it is a wonderful blend and compliments steaks and burgers, it really is awesome.

When you smell it, you can smell the coffee but once you're done cooking it's not as pronounced, it is a wonderful blend and compliments steaks and burgers, it really is awesome.
Just as Kevin said. You can smell coffee in the rub bag but once cooked you just get a very slight hint of it. I don't drink coffee and I think the rub was amazing on the steak last night.

Looking for advice on to what three Oakridge rubs to try first. We cook a full mix of Beef, Pork and Chicken. I am considering Santa Maria, Black Ops, Carne Crosata and Dominator.

The Dominator looks real good on some post I have seen on ribs something we cook a lot of and also thinking it would go good on thick pork chops and tenderloins

The black Ops seems popular on brisket which we don't smoke a lot of so on the fence if I should try the Carne Crostata first for beef and it also looked good on beef ribs and tri-tips that I have seen.

Thinking the Santa Maria for the mix on chicken and pork too.

So my top three to start I am thinking is Dominator - Carne Crostata - Santa Maria. Am I looking at this right?

Thanks in advance

In my opinion(meaning for me) the big four are Carne crosta, Santa Maria, Comp beef and pork and Secret weapon. Dominator is great but I find that I use it less than the others.

Carne Crosta and Santa Maria REALLY get used in this house. I've recently started combining them 50/50 to make some MEAN hamburgers(steaks as well). Seasoning the outside of fresh ground beef with Oakridge plus a blackstone/camp chef griddle equals MAGIC.:becky:

May I suggest grabbing the one or two that you KNOW you're wanting and add the sampler pack. That way you'll get to try all of them without as much of an investment. And one more thing. Oakridge rubs really shine after they have had about 30 minutes to set before going on the cooker. They make the best bark of any rubs I've ever used and I find that I hardly ever look for other rubs anymore. The grind is about perfect in my opinion.

How spicy is the Competition Beef and Pork?

To me it's more of a black pepper type spice. Referring to the heat level not the flavor. My wife is the biggest pansy I know in regards to heat and she notices it, but enjoys it. It is not in the league of their death dust and is laughable against the mighty crucible.

Think cumin and black pepper. I like to layer it with Secret weapon or Dominator.

... Am I looking at this right? ...
I would say no. You are running two risks:

1. You may end up owning a bunch of rub that you don't like.
  2. You may miss buying a rub that you really would like better than what you bought.
I suggest buying one or the other of their sample packs. Then cut up some meat into two-bite chunks and put each rub on two or three chunks. Use colored toothpicks to identify the rubs and cook all the meat. See what you like; buy that.

I suggest buying one or the other of their sample packs. Then cut up some meat into two-bite chunks and put each rub on two or three chunks. Use colored toothpicks to identify the rubs and cook all the meat. See what you like; buy that.

The sample packs are the way to go without wasting money on rubs you may not like.

Carne Crosta is great on Tri Tip, add extra salt though. Love my Oak Ridge rubs! I just got the new jerk flavor, haven't tried it yet.

I just got the new jerk flavor, haven't tried it yet.

Quick PSA Message for anyone trying our Jah Love Jerk Seasoning...

Please be sure to follow the directions and make a paste with equal parts vegetable oil (my favorite is Peanut oil) and rub. I've also found that using a blender to combine the oil and rub results in a superior end product.

After recently traveling to Jamaica to try truly authentic Jerk first hand, I can personally attest to the authenticity of our flavor profile, especially when a paste is made and the meat is marinated for 24 hours prior to grilling.

Paste-making equipment...
MJT_5127.jpg

Spatchcocked birds after a 24 hour soak in Jerk paste with a light secondary application of Jerk Seasoning over the top...
MJT_5129.jpg

Finished product, cooked indirect over Mexican Lump charcoal, which is important to use if you want to closely approximate the flavors of grilling over pimento wood as the Jamaicans do...
MJT_5140.jpg

trying out the Dominator Sweet Rub today on baby back ribs and some chicken wangs for my little girls birthday party today .

Last edited:
just got done and everyone loved the sweetness but next time I will add a layer of heat and it will be perfect . this definitely a quality fresh made rub and I will be buying again and trying the other rubs out .

Last edited:
Quick PSA Message for anyone trying our Jah Love Jerk Seasoning...

Please be sure to follow the directions and make a paste with equal parts vegetable oil (my favorite is Peanut oil) and rub. I've also found that using a blender to combine the oil and rub results in a superior end product.

After recently traveling to Jamaica to try truly authentic Jerk first hand, I can personally attest to the authenticity of our flavor profile, especially when a paste is made and the meat is marinated for 24 hours prior to grilling.

That is awesome looking chicken Mike.....

just got done and everyone loved the sweetness but next time I will add a layer of heat and it will be perfect . this definitely a quality fresh made rub and I will be buying again and trying the other rubs out .

Those are great looking wings and ribs..... I'm drooling.

Glad you liked it, everything looked good.

Back