Is choice usually dry?

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just finished what is probably my 15th brisket and the freakin' flat was dry again. It's always the same Angus Choice 12lb packer from the same butcher. I've tried low and slow, hot and fast, wrapped in foil, and wrapped in butcher's paper. With the exception of one of my very first cooks, I can't get a tender, juicy looking slab. Even that brisket was on the dry side.

I'm probing until butter soft and then separate. I let the flat rest in a cooler, wrapped for at least 2-4 hours. It comes out pretty dry and part of the side even falls off.

The best results i've had was wrapped in foil and using the high heat method. This still was pretty dry and the bark was nonexistent. I'm keeping my temps pretty consistent and I never open the top. I'm killing it when it comes to smoking everything else, but I'm starting to think it's impossible to get a good brisket off this WSM.

:mad2:

Meh...undercook it and it'll be tougher and dry. Overcook it and it'll be fall apart and dry. Cook it just right and it'll still be a little dry LOL.

Well if it's dry and tight you're under cooking it and if it's dry and falling apart then you're over cooking it. Try my brisket method next time, it's very similar to Bludawg's and I get great tenderness, bark and flavor pretty much every time, I keep this on file for situations like this.:-D
CENTRAL TEXAS STYLE BRISKET
To make a true central Texas style brisket you'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke! Here's my method.
Start with a whole packer brisket. A whole packer consist of two parts, the point (fattier portion) and the flat (the leaner portion). Be sure and ask your market manager or butcher for that cut.
Once you have found your brisket, trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:
P.S. If you are using foil to wrap with, vent it after removing the brisket from your pit until the IT has fallen to the 150 to 160 degree range and then reseal it for the remainder of the resting period.

Well if it's dry and tight you're under cooking it and if it's dry and falling apart then you're over cooking it. Try my brisket method next time, it's very similar to Bludawg's and I get great tenderness, bark and flavor pretty much every time, I keep this on file for situations like this.:-D
CENTRAL TEXAS STYLE BRISKET
To make a true central Texas style brisket you'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke! Here's my method.
Start with a whole packer brisket. A whole packer consist of two parts, the point (fattier portion) and the flat (the leaner portion). Be sure and ask your market manager or butcher for that cut.
Once you have found your brisket, trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:
P.S. If you are using foil to wrap with, vent it after removing the brisket from your pit until the IT has fallen to the 150 to 160 degree range and then reseal it for the remainder of the resting period.

For my next brisket I'm literally going to follow this to the t.. If it comes out dry, I'm blaming you! :wink:

What about injecting… is it time to start thinking about that?

For my next brisket I'm literally going to follow this to the t.. If it comes out dry, I'm blaming you! :wink:

What about injecting… is it time to start thinking about that?
Okay I'll take full responsibility for the next one! LOL!:razz:
I don't bother with injections, I don't think it really does much for the meat as it all gets pushed out during the cooking process anyway. I once used an injection of some low sodium beef broth, worcestershire and rub in a flat but I didn't notice any real benefit or difference apart from altering the flavor of the beef.
I think you'll be pleased with the results you'll get with my method.:wink:
P.S. If you aren't already, in a WSM I'd cook for the first 4 hours fat side down and then after it's wrapped flip it fat side up. Let that fat cap serve as a heat shield.:-D

Have you had a brisket that you like? I found that some folks just don't find brisket to be very good, they find the texture to be too dry. I cook mostly Choice grade Angus, pretty much like Old Bill, and it comes out quite reliably good. The point is always very fatty and moist, the flat is drier, just the nature of the cut. However, it is tender.

What is written above is true, dry and fall apart is over-cooked, dry and tough, undercooked.

I wrap in butcher paper and not foil but, that doesn't affect moisture all that much. If what you want is bark, don't wrap at all.

I'm probing until butter soft and then separate. I let the flat rest in a cooler, wrapped for at least 2-4 hours. It comes out pretty dry and part of the side even falls off.

This. Your steaming it in the cooler. This only works if you undercook somewhat. I hate that anybody even teaches this technique.

Have you had a brisket that you like? I found that some folks just don't find brisket to be very good, they find the texture to be too dry. I cook mostly Choice grade Angus, pretty much like Old Bill, and it comes out quite reliably good. The point is always very fatty and moist, the flat is drier, just the nature of the cut. However, it is tender.

What is written above is true, dry and fall apart is over-cooked, dry and tough, undercooked.

Ya brisket is one of my favorite items to get at a bbq place. There's a place in Sturbridge called BT's Smokehouse and he does it absolutely perfect. He's got an all wood pit and I think it makes all the difference. Plus his flat is so moist!

If your cooking to probe tender, its tender. Resting it in a sealed, warm vessel will only continue to cook your meat, thus rendering out all the juices.
If its done tender, vent your foil or leave in BP and rest at room temp 1-2 hours. The juices should redistribute and give you a better finished product.

YMMV. :)

If your cooking to probe tender, its tender. Resting it in a sealed, warm vessel will only continue to cook your meat, thus rendering out all the juices.
If its done tender, vent your foil or leave in BP and rest at room temp 1-2 hours. The juices should redistribute and give you a better finished product.

YMMV. :)

You see.. that might just be my problem. I'll start resting it at room temp instead.

In my anecdotal experience, prime seems to want to dry out more than choice.

WHY IS MY MEAT DRY?????

Allow me to channel my inner Alton Brown.
Critters are held together by collagen it is between the muscle fibers. Blood and plasma run through the fibers( Mostly water) Basic Laws of physics tell us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What happens when you heat up a pot of water?? When you heat it the molecules move faster and expand when they expand and volume increases until the pot Boils. The same thing happens inside the muscle fibers once the pressures is great enough( the molecules moving rapidly from application of heat) this moisture( water Blood Plasma) is forced to the surface and along with rendering fat enters the atmosphere ( this is the Smell that make ya Hongry).

Pumping in more of a water based solution ( stocks, beer, soda, magic potions, ect) in has no effect on the moisture in the finished product as it is forced out as the fibers constrict and the pressure builds up.
Now back to the Collagen, as the collagen gets hot it undergoes a transformation and turns into gelatin it is the Gelatin that is the Moisture in the meat. God and the Critter put it there all you need to do is extract it through proper cooking. This is why under cooked briskets are DRY and Chewy

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn«t *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don«t ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won«t dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Back