Smoked Hot Wings

jham0077

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
By the looks here, I'm not the only one with wings on the brain. I thought I would make hotwings, not fried, on the drum. I brined them about 18 hours. Water, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, a little sugar, salt, and a shot of pepper vinegar. I used Frank's Redhot Buffalo for basting. I let them go for a little while before putting the first coat on them.

j5xDl1k.jpg

I flipped them and put a coat on the bottom side. I forgot how salty the Frank's was. I shoulda shorted the salt in the brine. They weren't too bad. I think for "hotwings", I'll stick to frying.

bWxP1wk.jpg

Thanks yall.

HOT WINGS... need to try and get them off my mind. Before you switch back to frying, would you be willing to give one more method a try? Dont wet brime them... but instead dry them out with a paper towel and salt them 30 mins to an hour before. Set up the grill for indirect, but max heat and put the wings on the indirect side. Try to hit 400 to 500 degrees. Flip after approx 15 to 20 mins, cooks in less than an hour but first few times cut in to a few samples. Crispy skin, hint of smoke. Just a few moment ago, heard a suggestion to sauce em half-way through the cook. Haven't tried but seems interesting.

Dont wet brine them... but instead dry them out with a paper towel and salt them 30 mins to an hour before. Set up the grill for indirect, but max heat and put the wings on the indirect side. Try to hit 400 to 500 degrees. Flip after approx 15 to 20 mins, cooks in less than an hour but first few times cut in to a few samples. Crispy skin, hint of smoke.
Since you don't sauce during the cook do you toss them in sauce before serving or just serve dry as is?

Since you don't sauce during the cook do you toss them in sauce before serving or just serve dry as is?
I have always sauced after cook before serving by tossing them in a large bowl with a few spoon-fulls of sauce.... turns out great. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't marinate or sauce them before the cook as I usually try to go for the crisp skin. That said, generally the crispiness is probably set 3/4 of the way through the cook so I just thought about using a basting brush to glaze the wings with the sauce and let it keep going for the final 10 to 15 mins. Then if desired, still toss in a bowl with a little bit more of sauce. Haven't tried it but I'm thinking it should work, in principal haha!

Zach speaks the truth... and there are a few variations... (of course).

I love to dry rub my wings with a variation of SPOG with some cayenne added... then smoke hot & fast at around 300F (all my poor gasser will give me) over Hickory (though I've experimented with Mesquite as of late) for about 30-40 min... or until I'm happy that they're done. If needed, I throw them on the grill to crisp up the skin before tossing in sauce like Zach mentioned above.

I'm to the point that I just don't like fried wings all that much anymore. Smoked or grilled is the way to go (in my not-so-humble opinion).

Keep messing' around until you're happy. Thanks for the post and the pr0n!
ShadowDriver

Last edited:
-I always separate the wing into two pieces, so they cook evenly
-rub with yardbird, spog, or salt and pepper
-when done toss in a bowl with hot sauce and butter
-back on to set the sauce
-

HOT WINGS... need to try and get them off my mind. Before you switch back to frying, would you be willing to give one more method a try?

I have had good luck with the brine and frying. I shoulda tasted the brine before the last shake of salt I gave it. And I don't think the Frank's and smoke does it for me. Although they didn't taste as salty as leftovers. I do like jerk sauce on my grilled wings, or bbq sauce too. These wings had everybody in the break room wondering what the smell was.:becky:

Back