Green Wood Question

Papa Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I recently bought a cord of pecan for doing some smoking with. The wood is still a little green and I have heard that using green wood can cause a bitter taste. I will be smoking four pork butts on Wednesday and really wanted to try the pecan but fear messing them up. I do have some well seasoned hickory on hand but thought I would see if any of you have experience with green wood. The pecan has been split for a couple of months now. Thanks.

If you whack two pieces together and you hear a crisp ring, it's good to go, a thunk, let it age more, I've heard about 4 -6 months total, may very with the wood.

Just use something else for the main fuel source and throw a stick of the pecan on periodically for flavoring. As long as you have a hot fire with a good coal bed the pecan will ignite and burn rather than smolder and you won't get the bitter flavor.:-D
Actually many Q joints even use green wood over seasoned.:wink:

Aint a thing in the world wrong with green wood i just ordered a load of seasoned oak and a half load of green hickory ... Get you a good coal bed established and pitch a little green on.... People that say no i say stay out of Alabama... We do it all the time... And look at the crimson tide....:):) been doing it since i was a little boy.... Seriously... My dad had a brick pit out back of the house and that it where i learned to determine hickory wood.... As a little boy he handed me a hatchet and a pice of wood and said... Go down in the woods and bring me something Back just like this... I nailed it the 1st time... My family has a 300 acre farm full of it and i still use it

Start, as said above, with a good, hot, clean small fire. Then toss on small amounts of the green pecan. Keep the fire hot and small. Lots of folks (as TQ said above) use green wood and think it produces a sweeter accent smoke, assuming a clean hot fire is burning.

Aint a thing in the world wrong with green wood i just ordered a load of seasoned oak and a half load of green hickory ... Get you a good coal bed established and pitch a little green on.... People that say no i say stay out of Alabama... We do it all the time... And look at the crimson tide....:):) been doing it since i was a little boy.... Seriously... My dad had a brick pit out back of the house and that it where i learned to determine hickory wood.... As a little boy he handed me a hatchet and a pice of wood and said... Go down in the woods and bring me something Back just like this... I nailed it the 1st time... My family has a 300 acre farm full of it and i still use it

I agree brother Shirley. I have burned more green wood in this pit than I have seasoned wood. It seems to love it!!

Last edited:
Back