Jeckyll and Hyde - Weber Kettle

zach1234

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Firstly, I am definitely a fan of the weber kettle but not a "my kettle can beat anything" kind of guy, just a fan of the quality and value: always open to any product... need to mention that as I have taken undeserving heat for that in the past, haha!

That said, it definitely puts a smile on my face when I can go from max searing heat for one cook, and then set it to 225* the day after, and then set it up as a wood fire pizza oven the day after that. Such a simple product, yet with a bit of hands-on experimenting, anything is possible. So much fun - all with one measly weber kettle ots.

ribeye.jpg
rib_cook.jpg
pizza.jpg

Last edited:
The Weber kettles just works and works well. I have a Vault and a Shirley offset, however for the majority of my cooks the Weber kettle is more than sufficient and does just as good of a job for small cuts. There has been a lot of excellent food turned out on the Kettle for many years. Probable more than all other grills combined. Your grub looks excellent. Keep that Kettle rockin!!!!!

You hinted at the main issue with using the weber kettle... capacity. I've definitely spent many late nights tending to my kettles (25 rib racks for a friends engagement party for example). Putting aside the fact that I wasn't getting paid for the job haha , it was definitely lots of fun... but there is no question that I maxed out the kettles and they were certainly not the most efficient option for that scenario. Mind you, it was a hell of a good time... a few beers, dealing with surprise torrential rain downpours that had my maverick thermometers beeping like crazy, and building jimmy-rigged tents and shelters (for both the kettles and also for myself and the beer, haha). I wouldn't trade that moment for anything, but in the future I would definitely lean towards putting a couple of WSMs (or UDS, etc.) to work for that task.

I understand where you are coming from. Since obtaining my kettle, my uds thinks I must have died of old age or something. Have not so much as started a fire in it. Probably should though, if for no other reason, to make sure it is good and dry and not rusting. :oops: It is just too easy to fire it up and start cooking in 15 minutes or less. Only thing I have not tried on it yet that I normally cook is a brisket. But that is a budget problem more than anything else.

Blessings,

Omar

Funny you mention brisket, that's the only thing I have NEVER cooked as of yet. Not because I havent wanted to, but it was never a cut I knew much about and I was certainly surprised to see the prices haha. I compare it to steak... it wasn't until recently where I really feel confident cooking steaks and would not sweat if a $50 cut was put in front of me. I definitely wanted to make sure I have a bit of a handle on the weber before I attempt a super long brisket cook. That said, I have successfully hit 6+ hours at around the 225 range with a smokenator (knocking off the ash on the coals and adding water half way through the cook). I can confidently leave for an hour or 2 but need to figure out how I can get 6 hours of sleep while the kettle is doing its business. Definitely a work in progress.

I love the versitlity of the weber kettle. I'am always looking at other cookers but I always come back to the kettle.

Funny you mention brisket, that's the only thing I have NEVER cooked as of yet. Not because I havent wanted to, but it was never a cut I knew much about and I was certainly surprised to see the prices haha. I compare it to steak... it wasn't until recently where I really feel confident cooking steaks and would not sweat if a $50 cut was put in front of me. I definitely wanted to make sure I have a bit of a handle on the weber before I attempt a super long brisket cook. That said, I have successfully hit 6+ hours at around the 225 range with a smokenator (knocking off the ash on the coals and adding water half way through the cook). I can confidently leave for an hour or 2 but need to figure out how I can get 6 hours of sleep while the kettle is doing its business. Definitely a work in progress.

I have used a snake of about 3 X 3 briquets about 3/4 of the way around the kettle, and got about 8 hours of 300* cooking out of it in a test run once. Cooked some ribs ( 2 batches ) and they turned out great. That should be enough for a brisket without adding much more fuel. Will probably try one after the first of the year.

Blessings,

Omar

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a run with that set up this week with a rack of ribs and if I can nail it down, will splurge for the brisket. When it comes down to it, I just need to close my eyes and give it a whirl. Im sure I won't "ruin" it, but might not get much sleep haha. And if I do screw it up, so be it.

I had plenty of good brisket come off of kettles. Haven't done it in 16 years or so, but it worked fine. Heck, before that I used the ol' square walmart rigs. Even those little cheap things put some good brisket out. I wish I would have known about the snake method back then, but, indirect worked fine. Ahh, the good ol' days....... Pullin the meat/grate off re-stoking the fire, putting everything back together.... At one point I started running 2. I'd have one ready to rock and roll when the fire was dying in the other. That helpled alot with keeping things steady. ( or maybe it was just fun for me.... :p ) My kettles still get a call at least once a week but for other things. :-D

I just got my first Weber recently and wondering what took me so long. Simple, effective, consistent. Love my Akorn, hoping to get a Pit Barrel Cooker, but the Weber will always have a spot in my lineup.

I have now become a big fan of your kettle. Nice lookin grub.

Great looking grub, Zach!
Going from a cheap gas grill to a $25.00 OTS from Craigslist was a game changer for me. I love the capacity I get with my UDS, but if I could only have one grill, it would be a kettle.

Maybe practice up a little w/ pork butt.....see here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192745

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198925

I routinely get 10-1/2 / 11 hours just sticking it on & going to sleep......the less you worry, the better it comes out....not kidding !!!!

Test out chaining (snakes) for the charcoal & save up your Smokenator for the medium length cooks.............even if it runs all the way around, it's pretty easy to pop the grate & add in more coals......

Maybe practice up a little w/ pork butt.....see here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192745

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198925

I routinely get 10-1/2 / 11 hours just sticking it on & going to sleep......the less you worry, the better it comes out....not kidding !!!!

Test out chaining (snakes) for the charcoal & save up your Smokenator for the medium length cooks.............even if it runs all the way around, it's pretty easy to pop the grate & add in more coals......
Great points... and I definitely agree with the less worrying (and probably, as a result, over-adjusting), the better the result. For some of the mid range cooks, although I am quite confident in being able to set it up properly, it doesn't always go perfectly smoothly and sometimes it needs a few adjustments. For example, if it starts running hot, it's easy to start getting finicky and over-adjusting the vents and next thing you know, you choked the coals. Trust the vents, tap it closed and if it is too hot, crack the lid for a few seconds. As simple as that is, It took a few mistakes to figure that out haha.

As great as the smokenator is, you're right that it should be saved for nothing longer than a medium-length cook. I can get it going for 6+ hours, but there's no point in relying on using it for anything longer than that. That seems to be the consistent limit, sometimes a bit longer, sometimes shorter.

Alright it's settled, this week I'll get up at the crack of dawn and set up it up with a chain, and throw on a pork butt. I'll let you know how it works!

Back