Cedar Plank.....

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I’ve never really understood what cedar planks are for... do they add flavor? Prevent burning? Are they reusable?

I look forward to seeing your cook and learning more about this cooking device/method.

Don’t be embarrassed. I would also encourage you not to pattern yourself to closely after me. While most everything I cook is quite edible, and almost everyone who has eaten my food has gone on to live a healthy normal life, I tend to make up my cooks as I go thinking more about the lines and shadows of the photography.

Seriously, yes I can taste the cedar on planked Salmon

cedar

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I’ve never really understood what cedar planks are for... do they add flavor? Prevent burning? Are they reusable?

I look forward to seeing your cook and learning more about this cooking device/method.

Cedar planks are the best way to grill salmon. I soak the plank for at least 2 hours to keep from burning. The cedar smoke will put a hint of flavor in the salmon and yes they are reusable, just put enough water on them to stop the smoldering after the cook.

Yes. Exactly as above. I’m cooking wife some salmon and extra for salmon croquettes. When I’m through I’ll turn over the plank and a Spam will ride the heat down

Last edited:
Cedar planks are the best way to grill salmon. I soak the plank for at least 2 hours to keep from burning. The cedar smoke will put a hint of flavor in the salmon and yes they are reusable, just put enough water on them to stop the smoldering after the cook.

Maybe this is why I don’t know about them... I very rarely eat fish and I’ve never cooked it. Thanks all for the education!

It all looks/sounds great!
Hope you have rocks in your pockets today! :grin:

Cedar smoked spam!?! I thought it was supposed to be mesquite. I still have a can of spam I really need to try. All looks really good:-D. Can't wait to see the salmon croquettes

Cedar smoked spam!?! I thought it was supposed to be mesquite. I still have a can of spam I really need to try. All looks really good:-D. Can't wait to see the salmon croquettes

B&B Mesquite Lump
Mesquite chunks
Pecan mini log
Cedar Plank

B&B Mesquite Lump
Mesquite chunks
Pecan mini log
Cedar Plank

May do the croquettes tomorrow. Winds up to 50mph next several days

A,The cook intrigues me.Both the salmon and the spam.interesting.I used to Adore my Mother’s salmon croquets.I have tried to replicate them to no avail.Will you please post instructions when you make the ones out of this planked salmon.Honestly I do not think the canned salmon I buy these days is the same Mom used.Maybe using smoked fresh salmon will get me closer to the grail of salmon croquettes.Thanks in advance.Yes.Mine will be served with biscuits,gravy and long grain and wild rice.Bananna pudding for dessert.Cooked kind not instant.Oh the memories!

Back