West Coast Offense

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
i am not doing too well in ribs over my last few comps. I currently use some West Coast Offense rubs on my pork (Sweet Money & Spicy Apple), is there where I should start when looking for a good combo for ribs? i have never been really good at pairing rubs together.

Disclaimer: I have no cooking skills, and do not wish to purport otherwise

Pecan is a very good addition to those 2 rubs you already use

Fair. 8s and 9's. Mostly 8's

It's taste. I am fairly sure of it.

Generally, as your tenderness scores go up, so do your taste scores. There may be some small changes you can make, but it's not like your using rubs that aren't proven winners on the circuit. Nail tenderness, and then taste should be easier to tweak.

For sure. I get that regarding tenderness. I am still getting the hang of this hanging thing. I was getting an overwhelming smokey flavor and that was due to the charcoal i was using. I didn't that Mesquite was in there. I changed that. I am trying to consolidate my rubs and only use a few of the same. I'm just seeing whether what has worked on my Pork will also work on my ribs. Make sense?

Since I've started competing, every year I've used less and less products than the year before and plan on continuing that trend next season. The 2 you are using are working for many others. I don't know that changing or adding more rubs will help. Might be worth looking at what sauce you are pairing it with. Maybe you are using one of the popular ones? Maybe mixing? Are you adding a finishing rub at the end?

I have done what you are wanting to do with rub consolidation. I use only 2 rubs on both ribs and pork. I don't layer but mix them in shakers so i apply the same every time. I just mix them at different ratios per category. One of these also is used on chx and the other is also used on brisket. I have learned keeping it simple, using non offending flavors from products the judges are familiar with tasting does well. Boring BBQ wins.

I get good results with a pecan, a sweet rub, and a little sweet heat rub at the end.

i am not doing too well in ribs over my last few comps. I currently use some West Coast Offense rubs on my pork (Sweet Money & Spicy Apple), is there where I should start when looking for a good combo for ribs? i have never been really good at pairing rubs together.

Well, how do your ribs taste? like 1-10 on sweetness, 1-10 on heat level, 1-10 on tangyness?

For sure. I get that regarding tenderness. I am still getting the hang of this hanging thing. I was getting an overwhelming smokey flavor and that was due to the charcoal i was using. I didn't that Mesquite was in there. I changed that. I am trying to consolidate my rubs and only use a few of the same. I'm just seeing whether what has worked on my Pork will also work on my ribs. Make sense?

Blues Hog charcoal :)

I've got 7 wins and 3 perfect scores with what Tim taught in class. Don't overthink it.

Brad, let's just put it this way, I am an idiot and didn't reorder in time for the Jack. Trying to escape with what i have in my current stock. :cry:

Brad, let's just put it this way, I am an idiot and didn't reorder in time for the Jack. Trying to escape with what i have in my current stock. :cry:

I'm guessing that overnight shipping option from Big Poppa Smokers will work...

Plus both Sterling and Tim will be at the Jack this year as well.

I'm guessing that overnight shipping option from Big Poppa Smokers will work...

Plus both Sterling and Tim will be at the Jack this year as well.

I reached out to Terri. I am leaving tomorrow. Only Gateway carried the rub i am missing.

Is there going to be Blues Hog Charcoal for sale at the Jack?

I went from 3rd place ribs to 5th going with some other brand of charcoal...

I should get points for promoting Blues Hog at my last events! I won the Blues Hog logoed Gateway Drum at the first Blues Hog cookoff last year. Just slapped the "insane can" sticker on my van. Oh, and I do sprinkle pellets in for flavor...

yeah but be careful stole sauce out his trailer this weekend about midnight and busted my ass on his dam ramp . stuck the landing . But still didnt beat Brad's score

That's odd, normally busting your ass on the ramp equates to a GC.

I got mine last year in Willard when the girls decided to make a slide out of the ramp with dish soap and water. I went ass over tea kettle at 6:30 am the next morning. My ass missed the protruding latch by a fraction of an inch....

I bust out in full on laughter every time this image passes through my head! Curt's landing was nice, but Brad's made a bigger splash...

That's odd, normally busting your ass on the ramp equates to a GC.

I got mine last year in Willard when the girls decided to make a slide out of the ramp with dish soap and water. I went ass over tea kettle at 6:30 am the next morning. My ass missed the protruding latch by a fraction of an inch....

it worked for a g.c. for tim . it was good seeing you bud and great luck this weekend

Back