What decent BBQ sides?

ytrebil

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Alright gents - only cooking for the gf at the weekend but I'm cooking a lot of meet to have a few meals out of anyway. I'm also going to experiment with a Mac & cheese recipe TheHojo posted.

What other sides do you guys do? I'm looking for something 'fun' with veg like sweet potatoes or any sort of greens? Obviously doesn't have to be BBQ'd.

Cheers!

Roasted carrots I'm liking.
Evoo, S+P, thyme, on a shallow sheet pan at 400 for almost an hour.
I'm also taking small, round potatoes,
heating a skillet with butter, then sugar, and rolling these puppies
around and around and have sweet, nice, caramelized, small round tasty potatoes.

Not very green, but my favorites
1) Bacon- ranch or Bacon-blue cheese coleslaw.
2) any kind of beans that includes pinto beans, jalapeño, onions, and chorizo
3) Mac & Cheese
4) Texas Toast
5) Fresh green beans with pecans & bacon
6) fresh salad is always good and contrast to the bbq

Southern green beans... Slice up some strips of bacon then throw it into a hot skillet and cook to almost done. Then cut up a onion throw that in, cook a few minutes. Now throw some fresh green beans in with some chicken broth and cover. Cook for about a hour to a hour and a half. Add more broth if needed. When the beans are just getting soft add some sliced up potatoes with three cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Cook till potatoes are done.

Smoked beets

Absolutely !!!!!

I saw your big cook post that had those included & tried them out.....tremendous !!!

I actually added in some small chunks of mango & a few seasoning powders & did them under pork.....really good !!!!

Sept7theCook022c.jpg

sweet soy broccoli and carrots-
season some baby carrots and broccoli florets with a bit of black pepper. grill/steam until desired doneness. toss in Kikkoman sweet soy glaze(or make your own w/soy sauce and honey). if desired, you could also finish w/some orange zest.

Smoke some sweet potatoes until they are soft. Scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl. Add some butter, brown sugar, garlic, chipotle, walnuts or pecans and you're off to the races.

Back