What the Chuck?

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In the SoCal area, "chuck roast" seems to be many different cuts. Blade cut, 7 bone, shoulder clod, etc.

Is there one cut that is preferable for smoking, as a brisket replacement? With a preference for "inexpensive".

Around my parts they call it bottom blade roast. Sometimes 7 bone roast, but never chuck roast.

All the above mentioned come from the "chuck" sub-primal but should be identified with different nomenclature,
Beef Chuck 7 bone Roast
Beef Chuck Shoulder Clod
Beef Chuck Boneless Chuck Roast (7-bone removed)

The variations are many. Waht you see on the label depends on local regulations..... some more strict than others

All the above mentioned come from the "chuck" sub-primal but should be identified with different nomenclature,
Beef Chuck 7 bone Roast
Beef Chuck Shoulder Clod
Beef Chuck Boneless Chuck Roast (7-bone removed)

The variations are many. Waht you see on the label depends on local regulations..... some more strict than others

This I understand, and we use a few more variations than these. But I am looking to see if anyone is familiar with my local nomenclature, and what success they have had smoking low & slow, with the different cuts.

I thought I recently saw someone (landarc?) say they would rather cook chuck than brisket.

Back