Used Old Country Wrangler - Deal??

Big Swole

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been wanting a small entry offset to add to the collection for when I have time to tend a fire and drink a few cold ones, vs using my LSG IVC I'll pick up in Oct.

Have a chance to buy a used Old Country Wrangler for around $300-350 (Retails for $499.00 I think)

What say you?? Anyone have experience with them? What mods will it need?

Good smoker??

Once you factor in shipping $300 is right at 50% and that's a good deal. There are a lot worse smokers out there for $300 brand new. Might need tuning plates but that's a personal preference. If it doesn't work out you should be able to get your money back.

Once you factor in shipping $300 is right at 50% and that's a good deal. There are a lot worse smokers out there for $300 brand new. Might need tuning plates but that's a personal preference. If it doesn't work out you should be able to get your money back.

Yeah he's asking $350, but hoping he taking my $300 offer.

Been doing a bit of research...Looks like a decent little smoker.

Adding some cheap metal cut tuning plates should be it just about perfect for what I need.

If it's in good shape, that's a really good deal, and sounds just like what you're looking for, and way below your $1500 target price point. Hope it works out.

If it's in good shape, that's a really good deal, and sounds just like what you're looking for, and way below your $1500 target price point. Hope it works out.

Yes Sir!!

Funny thing was, I found a 22" WSM on CL that I text the guy about (Wanting to buy my brother in-law something to cook on) and he said it was sold buy then sent me a pic and said, " I have this too though"

Might just be Meant to BE!! :)

I had a Wrangler delivered from Academy to NJ about a month ago. Have only used it a couple of times but I really love it. No mods yet. I am still getting used to temp control but I love the hot and clean burning fire. Get this one so we can compare notes as we learn how to use it!

I had a Wrangler delivered from Academy to NJ about a month ago. Have only used it a couple of times but I really love it. No mods yet. I am still getting used to temp control but I love the hot and clean burning fire. Get this one so we can compare notes as we learn how to use it!

I think I just finalized the deal with the guy... Gonna try and pick up tmrw. morn.

Gotta work tmrw and Sun and have a busy week coming up too, so It may take me a bit, but we'll get it figured out I'm sure.

I think I just finalized the deal with the guy... Gonna try and pick up tmrw. morn.

Gotta work tmrw and Sun and have a busy week coming up too, so It may take me a bit, but we'll get it figured out I'm sure.

Awesome. In my two cooks, I've started with like half a chimney of briquettes to form an initial coal bed then have gone all oak splits. In both cooks, I got a beautiful clean fire very quickly. Both times, my temps would be low 200s and I'd add a split and the temp spiked to over 300. 350 last time. But then relatively quickly it came back down and I was able to hold between 225 and 250 pretty easily....maybe a split every 45 minutes or so.

I love it.....still need some work but I love it.

I've had one for about 18 months and it's just right for me. All I did was add fire gasket around the cook chamber lid and have zero leaks. Smoked mainly butts but also ribs and chicken. It does a great job on summer sausage hanging from the upper rack and removing the big rack. I've figured out the wood/temp. thing and really don't have spikes anymore. Cooking with the fire door open will help maintain the fire. I do use a full foil pan to catch most of the grease when doing butts, helps the cleanup. You'll like it a lot for that price.

Awesome. In my two cooks, I've started with like half a chimney of briquettes to form an initial coal bed then have gone all oak splits. In both cooks, I got a beautiful clean fire very quickly. Both times, my temps would be low 200s and I'd add a split and the temp spiked to over 300. 350 last time. But then relatively quickly it came back down and I was able to hold between 225 and 250 pretty easily....maybe a split every 45 minutes or so.

I love it.....still need some work but I love it.

Maybe try small pieces? cut the splits in half like Franklin does in his vid.

And you haven't made any tuning plates yet? Just using it as it came?

I've had one for about 18 months and it's just right for me. All I did was add fire gasket around the cook chamber lid and have zero leaks. Smoked mainly butts but also ribs and chicken. It does a great job on summer sausage hanging from the upper rack and removing the big rack. I've figured out the wood/temp. thing and really don't have spikes anymore. Cooking with the fire door open will help maintain the fire. I do use a full foil pan to catch most of the grease when doing butts, helps the cleanup. You'll like it a lot for that price.

Good advice on the pans. Have you made / used tuning plates yet?

Or used the original fire box grate at a tuning plate like some say can be done?

Or used the original fire box grate at a tuning plate like some say can be done?

Have not seen the need for tuning plates, once stabilized the temp range is with in 15-20 degrees. I did try using the fire box grate and it made no difference. If you use a pan, you can adjust the distance it is from the angled heat baffle to regulate the temp.

I am pretty sure my splits were too big. Getting new wood shortly and I do think smaller ones will lead to more granular control of the fire.

And no tuning plates yet. Just using as-is. I actually kind of want the temp variation. I like the idea of being able to move things around to cook faster or slower. Kind of like grilling over a live fire. Learn the characteristics of the fire and use them to your advantage.

We are gonna need some pics up in here. :wink:

Ask and you shall receive.

Just picked it up. It looks to be in decent shape. I want to do the high heat gasket mod. Does anybody have a link to a good gasket to use around the door?

AC5F847F-38F2-4790-9B49-E783B9B4196B_zpsxnuk5zmm.jpg

CD0C2C85-DC42-49C8-BB6B-DEC37C498C5C_zpsxfudjwjs.jpg

A36AE6F5-AEAD-483F-BBD9-13F2600E7AD9_zpsngz9yr8q.jpg

Back