Beware R&O smokers

Knothead

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This is going to be a little long not trying to bash anyone just don't want anyone to have the problems I have had.

In April I decided to bite the bullet and by a trailer smoker. After shopping around for days I decided on a R&O Pitt in Granburry Texas. I read multiple reviews on this site and others like it to be safe, since I live in the Kansas City and they are located in Texas. Everything seemed good so I called and got a quote at the time he said the build time would be 6 weeks. On April 11 I called and placed my order and sent my deposit for the Pitt (several thousand dollars). At that time he told me he had already started a build and now it would only take 4 weeks. April 18 I texted R&O and they received my deposit.
Here's were it goes bad not one time after April 12 have I received a phone call or text initiated by R&O on the status of my pit. I sent texts and left messages serval times on the status of my Pitt. I got a few text back but they were always vague and I could never get a finish date. 6 times I got no reply at all to my Text multiple times I heard I'll stop by the shop and check and then I wouldn't hear anything back. On May 26 I did get a reply to my text that said my Pitt was built just needed sandblasted and painted. Finally in mid-June I drove 600 miles to Granbury to see if the place really existed. The owner wasn't there when I got there but one of the workers was there so I talked to him and looked around. My Pitt wasn't in the shop he said there was one out getting sand blasted maybe that was mine. So I went back home not feeling to bad because the place was there and they had some really nice pits. So I waited 3 more weeks. Thursday I sent a text and said I've had enough I want a refund. I got a text back with an apology and he said he would go check the shop tomorrow and see what's going on. Still haven't heard back from him... It's been 12 weeks of a 6 week build zero customer service if you are planning on buying a Pitt you might want to think twice about these guys.

Thanks for the insight.
Sounds like whoever is handling the communication isn't on site. That's odd.

Is there still hope? If the pit is ready to go would you still accept it?

If you need any help I live in granbury and I can check anytime you need me to. I have met the owner. Is his name Billy? If there is anything I can do to help you out let me know. There is no sense in driving that far empty handed.

Thanks I'll keep you in mind. Yea it Billy Overton

There Pitts are awesome I would still take it if it's anywhere near being ready.
I just can't stand poor customer service seems to be everywhere anymore. I even told him on the phone, if your having problems let me know I'll understand but I get nothing.

I was really excited when I ordered it. I showed everyone pictures if it. Now I feel like a dumba** every time someone ask about it.

No reason to feel that way, it's not like you had any control of the situation...

I would thoroughly check it out before accepting the pit once its finished, if ever. He is going to have to give you some money back.

That type of customer service is unconscionable.... Getting a message by e-mail, text, or a phone call should deserve a timely response with and adequate answer to your question.

Like "barjolim" stated, I also would be furious and would want a full refund and look elsewhere. My biggest fear is that if they lied about completion dates and no one responds back from the requests for answers; what is going to be the response (Rather the lack of) if there happens to be a problem?

Hopefully things will work out and they'll stop dragging their feet and respond to you, or offer you a refund. Just the fact you were told in April that the build time was down to 4 weeks, and is now at 12 weeks is a really poor testimony for the company and the product.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If there is one thingnive learned about the main, top notch pit builders is that their customer service is exxellent, I dunno if i can speak for everyone but if there was a problem and they were more responsive I'm sure most of us would accept it and be glad they were being straight forward about it. The lack of customer service is no bueno in my books.

I would be furious. I hate no customer service and sadly this is becoming the norm. We got your money you go nothing in return. Excuses after excuses. If you call or text me a problem then I am very understanding but ignore me then your loss. 1 complaint can cost a company 10 sales.

I feel your pain on the customer service kind of. I made a purchase a few months ago and got a defective product and the company will not answer any calls or emails (not a smoker). Oh and it has a lifetime warranty.

I sincerely hope you get your product and/or a very speedy resolve to your issue.

At this point you might as well wait it out, then inform them they will be getting the rest of the payment at a time of your choosing. I would do my best to get the smoker and never give another dime.

R&O has had trouble in the past as well. About two years ago there was a shake up between partners and several got left holding the bag.

I almost had them build me a pit but went to Rock'n W in Euless instead.

R&O owner is a regular on Texas BBQ forum.com Look him up on the form.

Back