To wrap or not to wrap

tcv21

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My brisket has been an evolution to say the least. I finally got the flavor profile right where I want it but my bark has not been as consistent as I would like for it to be. It seems that I don't have this problem when I am in a comp but at home, no consistency. I have wrapped after 4 hours ever since I started bbqing. I am thinking of NOT wrapping the next time and seeing if I can get the "texas sugar cookie". Anyone have any luck with this?

Are you cooking at a higher temp at comp? Why not wrap when you get the bark you like vs a set time?

I do low and slow at comps.. and the same at home. Maybe I am just paying more attention at the comps...

My brisket has been an evolution to say the least. I finally got the flavor profile right where I want it but my bark has not been as consistent as I would like for it to be. It seems that I don't have this problem when I am in a comp but at home, no consistency. I have wrapped after 4 hours ever since I started bbqing. I am thinking of NOT wrapping the next time and seeing if I can get the "texas sugar cookie". Anyone have any luck with this?

I haven't heard "Texas sugar cookie" before, but that's funny. Perfect description.

I think I've gotten close to that a few times. I'm cooking on an offset, 275 degress (+/-25), and don't wrap as a matter of course. I've had variations on how the bark turns out. Sometimes I think the bark varies depending on the fuel source. I use either oak splits or lump depending on my mood.

I used seasoned oak once that was on the "fresher side" of seasoned (a bit more moist), and that was probably my worst bark. Not horrible by any means, but not my preference. It turned out a (pretty) mahagony color without any of that tacky sticky mildly crunchy candy effect I've been chasing. It basically turned out just like I had wrapped it too early (even though it wasn't wrapped at all).

My best bark was when I used lump charcoal with wood chips in a box. I'm guessing maybe the dry heat helped?

I've had other briskets with wood turn out decent, with drier wood, but I sometimes struggle with not enough smoke taste when using wood.

I'm also thinking that the amount of fat cap also plays a big part. Seems like too much or too little fat cap can make a difference.

To tell you the truth though, there are lots of variables that really have made it difficult for me so far to nail down what exactly makes a perfect bark. I'm still learning.

My "less than optimal" briskets have been because there has not been enough bark, so I don't think wrapping is for me. The only time I've wrapped so far was when I had a stubborn brisket that needed to get done, but by the time I wrapped it had already been on 11 or 12 hours.

Ya don't wrap and you will have more "bark". It's that easy. Brisket is our best category at events and our bark is soft, but the judges don't care. Home and comps are 2 different things.

Or wrap with butcher paper.

Do you let the brisket rest uncovered for any amount of time after pulling? I find that when I wrap in bp with the fat cap up that the bark needs a few minutes of air to firm back up. I'm a fan of wrapping when I like the bark vs a set time.

What are you wrapping in? Foil, butcher paper, paper bag, parchment paper?

I use parchment paper for the record. It allows some of the moisture to leave without getting it to float it its own juices, ruining the bark.

I don't do comps. If I get a good bark, I eat the brisket. Bark not so good, I throw it..- no- I eat the brisket Life is too short to worry about some things /shrug.

I enjoy practicing cooking briskets- my good one are pretty damned good- and my "failures" are still "ok". :grin:

Back