• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Third Brisket in 6 Weeks

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I went to the supermarket (HEB) last week and found briskets on sale yet again. I got there late 'cause the selection had dwindled down a bit, but I picked out a nice select choice packer - little over 12 pounds - for $2.00 a pound. I can't buy hamburger that cheap. Only yard bird and boston butt come in cheaper.

We had a bit of rain last week and through the weekend, but I finally put it on the Weber with a ring of charcoal and oak chunks at 7:00 am. Temps have remained on the low side (225-275) all day. I'll check IT in a couple of hours. When it hits 195 to 200, I'll take it off, wrap it in foil and double wrap in beach towels and let it sit overnight. Should be good for sammies tomorrow.

This is the third brisket I've done since July 4 and I expect I'll do another for Labor Day if the prices stay this good.

I'll get pics and post tomorrow.

Last edited:
You practicing for something? Don't forget walmart has choice for the same price. How long are you able hold and keep it above 140?

You practicing for something? Don't forget walmart has choice for the same price. How long are you able hold and keep it above 140?
Evenin, Paul!

No, not practicing for anything. Just indulging in a hobby. No telling what I might do if I had your Shirley. :icon_smile_tongue:

I checked temp for the first time about an hour ago ... not long after my OP. It was at 165. Don't know how long it has been there. I'm thinking about adding a few more hot coals to speed things up a bit but won't do that unless the stall lasts much after midnight. The bark is looking good but is still a bit 'wet.'.

When I've foiled and towel wrapped the last couple of briskets and butts, I just left them on the kitchen counter overnight. The beach towels were still warm on the outside. They were above 100 for sure but because I didn't probe them I don't know how warm they still were. I'll try to remember to do that in the morning.

I had a brain fahrt when I typed 'select'. It's a choice packer and just about the right size. Those really big ones work me too hard on the Weber. One of these days I'm gonna be able to afford a stick burner with a little more space.
Save

Looks like the practice is paying off. :thumb:

I'd definitely be interested what the IT was after sitting overnight on the counter. Might sound overly "health code conscious", but my guess is it could be below that 140 range for a while. Even in a cooker or cambro temps can drop below 140 after 6-8hrs. Just something to think about for food safety.

The one brisket looked good. Maybe a little tight so just use temp as a guide and then probing for feel of when the probe slides in with little resistance. Can be hard to describe, but the probing smoothness is kind of the final determination (mostly :-D)

OK. Here's the result.

I took the cut off at midnight (first pic before wrapping). It could have gone a bit longer as the IT was only 196, but I had not slept in 36 hours; so I took it off and went to bed.

I left it on the kitchen counter for 13 hours. The IT was still 110 - below the 140 but I think no harm done. The 40 to 140 rule I've always followed was for uncooked meats. I've not worried about it falling below after it was cooked. I'd be curious to know what the experts would say about that.

Jason you are right about it being a bit tight. It's still very tender, though. And, 'Er Indoors likes it better this way. Maybe on the next one ...

Last edited:
Looks Great! Last time I put one in a towel it continued to cook and got overdone and flaky to slice. Still tasted good. Do you let it cool some to stop the cooking before wrapping?

OK. Here's the result.

I took the cut off at midnight (first pic before wrapping). It could have gone a bit longer as the IT was only 196, but I had not slept in 36 hours; so I took it off and went to bed.

I left it on the kitchen counter for 13 hours. The IT was still 110 - below the 140 but I think no harm done. The 40 to 140 rule I've always followed was for uncooked meats. I've not worried about it falling below after it was cooked. I'd be curious to know what the experts would say about that.

Jason you are right about it being a bit tight. It's still very tender, though. And, 'Er Indoors likes it better this way. Maybe on the next one ...

Looks great! If you guys enjoyed it then that's awesome.

Ya for the food safety stuff I admit the full food safety guidelines are very strict here in the US and in theory not abiding to them all probably won't kill ya, but folks can get sick. Here's the basic usda rules and the snippet referencing leftovers. We're all grown ups here and people can choose to do what they will.

Having worked in a bbq restaurant being the primary guy in charge of food safety and making sure all things were up to standards I'll say this............Our health inspector, while concerned with all the rules, was primarily concerned about 2 things.....Time and Temperature with relation to the danger zone. Food storage temps and cooking temps/time get you dinged for the most points of anything.

Again the rules are overly strict. Can't store unwashed veggies on the same shelf or over cleaned veggies or you'll get dinged. I'm guessing most folks break this rule at home :becky:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/CT_Index

"Storing Leftovers
One of the most common causes of foodborne illness is improper cooling of cooked foods. Bacteria can be reintroduced to food after it is safely cooked. For this reason leftovers must be put in shallow containers for quick cooling and refrigerated at 40 °F or below within two hours.
"

Back