Starting the patio build

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Reaction score
After leveling a shoddy deck after we moved in, and fixing some issues in the yard, we are ready to finally start to build a stone/paver patio.

Due to budgets we are likely starting small just to get a seating area and stairs and stuff and maybe in the next year or two take our time to design a kitchen area for my cookers (the wife is ok with this when the budget allows)

We are looking at the standard stuff - UniLock, Belgard, Nicolock, etc.

From a BBQ Kitchen/clean up perspective - any one have any insight? We were told bbq grease can be cleaned up and usually not stain especially if caught early. He did say if you are cooking with oils that could stain - I was hoping to Wok more outside with my egg and things of that nature.

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback? Want to make sure our investment lasts and with the amount I plan to cook and host out there I want to make sure the product is easy to maintain over the years. I do not mind power washing every so often either but for the immediate stains want to make sure the stones have the ability to be cleaned.

If you are using sand to lock-in the pavers, I don't know that power washing them would be an option for cleaning. I have never tried it, but I wonder if it would end up blowing too much sand out. Probably not a big deal but may be something to consider.

Maybe the use of matts for those specific areas would work as well for you.

No problem. Buy a good degreaser from an auto parts store. Use as needed. If you must pressure wash you can always replace any sand you might spray out.

I replace my sand yearly. i have 2 walk ways and a paver patio and one container has lasted me years.....I know they do make sealers. Might want to think about that as maintenance. Wet leaves actually stain mine. It comes up in time but it does not come off with a simple hose down

I used flagstone on a slab and cement grout. I can power wash, but I haven't yet. My patio was completed early March of this year. For now, I am just using a degreaser and a scrub brush. Flagstone changes color over time anyway and I think keeping it somewhat homogenous in color is working with the scrubbing. If my wife sees a stain, I just tell her its adding character. She then hands me the broom, the degreaser and the hose.

Heck, get plenty of extra stones from the same lot just in case.

Thanks all - very helpful.

I was looking at flagstone too and comparing that with pavers - more money but a different look.

Any one have issues with cooking oils or anything? I do not mind getting out a degreaser if needed and using a hose. Most of these pavers and stones are sold with the notion they are already sealed, etc, so I guess I do not have to do an extra process to try and keep them sealed.

thanks again.

I have been told that one must wait a month or two to let pavers get settled before you put any heavy equipment on it. My vertical offset is nearly 1200 lbs. I did not do pavers because of that...thus, went with concrete. I also put a sealer on the concrete to help prevent stains.

What I was told may have been pure BS but i am very happy I went with concrete.

I have been told that one must wait a month or two to let pavers get settled before you put any heavy equipment on it. My vertical offset is nearly 1200 lbs. I did not do pavers because of that...thus, went with concrete. I also put a sealer on the concrete to help prevent stains.

What I was told may have been pure BS but i am very happy I went with concrete.

If the prep is done correctly there is no need to wait. But that can be a Big IF

Back