• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going to start selling Tut-T-Que this year.

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Its been 4 years in the making. purchasing a pit the end of February from Custom Pits in VA. every year i said, next year im gonna do it. well Im gonna do it. biggest question is....

1. mark up on prices.

do we have a calculator on this or is it more or less rule of thumb. I have kind of did my own calculations of how much it will cost per plate which is approx $3. im figuring an approx sell value of $8-9. At the end of the day, im doing this more as a hobby. I work as a correctional officer full time. love to bbq and want to have others taste what i have to give. Not really looking full time. more or less vending at fairs and catering here and there. with that said, any input would be greatly appreciated.

You need to be at a minimum food cost x 3 in business for concessions and even higher for catering. If you are doing as a hobby consider all of the expense associated before taking the leap. You will need business licenses, health dept fees, insurance, litter taxes, food taxes, misc expenses, labor, equipment to purchase and upkeep. We've discussed here before that it takes the same amount of work and expense to operate a part time one day a week barbecue business as it does to operate a full time business. Not trying to discourage you , just consider all of this up front. It's hard work and a considerable investment with many highs and many lows. If it's what you want then go for it!

You need to be at a minimum food cost x 3 in business for concessions and even higher for catering. If you are doing as a hobby consider all of the expense associated before taking the leap. You will need business licenses, health dept fees, insurance, litter taxes, food taxes, misc expenses, labor, equipment to purchase and upkeep. We've discussed here before that it takes the same amount of work and expense to operate a part time one day a week barbecue business as it does to operate a full time business. Not trying to discourage you , just consider all of this up front. It's hard work and a considerable investment with many highs and many lows. If it's what you want then go for it!

And That's Just For Starters!! :biggrin1: HBMTN is right, there is a big difference between running a business and enjoying an expensive hobby. Due diligence is your friend.

Hopefully more pipe in on the subject as I too am thinking of starting up a BBQ Catering gig, way up here in Ontario Canada

HBMTN and bizznessman are the pros. Their advice is well considered.

In terms of catering, or really, vending, there is no easy formula. The food cost x3 factor works pretty well for most brick and mortar restaurants. For catering, not at all. You really need to work up a system for accounting for all your prices, and determining how much your time is then worth. Hint: your time is worth less than you will think it is.

Vending at events is a whole other ballgame, and a lot depends on your connection to promoters. Out here in California, most promoters have taken to asking for a percentage of gross. It used to be a flat fee, the percentage of gross makes it incredibly hard to make money. The last event I did was many years ago, I should have walked. The promoter demanded $500 per event (2 days) and 15% gross. All of that has to be calculated in.

Back