Cooking/Holding food for 600 people

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We're looking at cooking an event in the next couple months that's a fundraiser for a cancer research group. The event is coupled with a 5k run and the organizers want to pre-sell bbq plates that consist of a PP sandwich, mac and cheese, and smoked beans.

Based on my rudimentary math, we'd need 20 full size pans of both beans and mac, and we'd pretty much need to be able to serve all 600 servings over the course of maybe 90 minutes to 120 minutes.

So, what's the best way to cook and hold that much product? We have 2 Lang 84's at our disposal for cooking, but I'm just not sure about that amount of volume at once.

Thanks for any help!

Chad

Cook ahead, hold in coolers. warm up sides and serve at one time.

Should be able to stuff it all on 2 Langs. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
I think you are looking more like 12 full pans of each side. Check in to renting a proofer box from a rental company, many they will sponsor/donate it for the day. Put your meats in coolers like Bubba says and sides between the proofer and Langs. I can get 10 pans in my Lang 84 plus 3 in the hot box, but the proofer will help if ya need it.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Do not use coolers. Use Cambros, that hold full trays. They work better and are easier to access and organize. To serve that many people in that short of a time, you will need to be very organized, and searching through coolers, bending and lifting, it is a pain. Cambro's are neat, clean, organized and work better. Plus, they are supported, you are not stacking pans.

Precook the mac-n-cheese, holding off on any cheese topping or bread topping until the last 40 minutes before serving. Pop half into one of the Langs and heat for 40 minutes. Cambro, and put the next half in while you serve out. The beans can be cooked day of, or partially precooked. If you are doing canned beans that are 'fixed up', you can easily do enough beans in a tamale pot or 5 gallon fryer pot to serve 300. It takes about an hour, so start two hours ahead and you are golden by serving time.

Also, unless you are leading a great crew, and a purist, cook the pork ahead, crash cool and pull it. Then store it in the service pans for a night, even can go two nights if you really cover it well. I hope you have access to a decent amount of refrigeration.

I will add this. We did a cook for 400 people this past December for the Camp Parks feed. We fired the cookers at 7:30am, Beans were started by 9am, pork was heating by 9:30am, tri-tip was on by 9:30am, Mac-n-cheese and chicken breasts hit the cookers by 10:30am, service was at noon, with all of the food in Cambros at that time. I had a lot of volunteers and was grateful for each of them.

Thanks for the help guys!
Landarc- we did plan on pre-cooking the meat beforehand and crash cooling it for serving later.

Back