Selling plates to workers

mikemci

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in S.Texas near the booming oil fracking fields. Some of the nearby land owners have put manufactured homes on their property and rent them to the oil field workers. I see an opportunity to set up a roadside BBQ stand outside one of these "Man Camps", as they are called. My plan is to sell to-go plates they can pick up on their way to their work home. My plan is to have a very limited menu. Brisket, chicken, sausage and pork ribs, for the meats. Potato salad, beans and cole slaw sides. I am thinking a single meat plate would consist of .25# meat, two sides and 2 slices white bread. Sodas, bottled water, iced tea would be available also. I believe the plate could be priced between $10-15 each. I have never sold food before and was hoping to get some tips/information from you guys with the experience. Thanks in advance!!

since you are selling to the public I am sure the local Heath Dept would want you to abide by their codes.

I would check with them first

Being that I used to work down there around Kennedy and Karns City, and after a log days work, I would be very disappointed only getting a 1/4 pound of meat and two sides for upwards of 15 bucks. Not trying to shoot you down, but a lot of those guys working in that area have big appetites, and there are several places already established in and around Cuero that that give you a half pound or more for 10 to 12 bucks a plate with sides. Really study traffic patterns, local laws and codes, and try to pick a prime spot that you can set up on. Also I would recommend either offering a 1/3 pound at a minimum, with healthy side portions. Cooked you should be at about 7 dollars a pound or less your cost, and I would double that price for my sell price, do the same for your sides, and that will get your sell price for the food, then you also need to factor in your cost of setting up, you will be charged rent.

I would tend to agree that 1/4 pound of meat is far too light for working men. You will want to be closer to 1/3 pound minimum, and heavy on the sides. That being said, if the going rate is under $15, I can't see getting 1/2 pound of BBQ for that price on a plate of food.

I agree with Landarc, 1/3 for the meat and two good portions of sides and you are good to go for $14.00 - $15.00.

Check out the pricing at Conger's Smoke Shack for local pricing (keeping in mind that they have small portions).

The only thing I would change would be the bread... bread is everywhere, maybe offer a roll or a corn muffin. But that is my personal preference, you have to figure out what they want.

Keep us posted....

My advice is targeted more at your business setup aspect.

One important thing to consider, in your business plan, is how long will this market exist? The oil industry is a cyclical one governed by Boom/Bust. The price of a barrel of oil is plummeting at the moment. There are indicators that this drop could continue and continue for some time due to international situations (OPEC has stated it will NOT cut production even though prices are plummeting).

I would be sure that you have a viable exit plan in place, should your market vanish, before you invest any personal/leveraged assets into such a venture.

One important thing to consider, in your business plan, is how long will this market exist? The oil industry is a cyclical one governed by Boom/Bust. The price of a barrel of oil is plummeting at the moment. There are indicators that this drop could continue and continue for some time due to international situations (OPEC has stated it will NOT cut production even though prices are plummeting).

I would be sure that you have a viable exit plan in place, should your market vanish, before you invest any personal/leveraged assets into such a venture.
I agree. The Dakotas are gonna be in for a shock coming soon.

Boom / Bust. If you get a legal trailer, you could move it if need be.
I am waiting for that oil bust shoe to drop, it'll be bad.
But the vast majority of people will benefit, except you and your prospective customers.

Good advice! I failed to mention in my opening post, I am proposing to do this on weekends only. It will be a trailer operation. Thanks for replying!

Bread and BBQ, in fact, white bread and BBQ is Texas. I dare say, you might run the risk of not having business if you don't have white bread. And there is a proper order, bread down first, meat on top, then onions then pickles :bow:

Bread and BBQ, in fact, white bread and BBQ is Texas. I dare say, you might run the risk of not having business if you don't have white bread. And there is a proper order, bread down first, meat on top, then onions then pickles :bow:

Exactly!! HAS to be white, sandwich sliced bread! Around these parts "Buttercrust" brand. :thumb:

I think you should try to build a relationship with the workers to frequent your place by being under 10$ That would be a 1/3lb and the 2 sides. If they are really hungry, offer the 1/2lb of meat and charge more at that point. They can always bring their lunch or eat where they are currently eating. Besides being good, you have to be economical to be competitive.

Someone has already alluded to it. But I'd be VERY VERY careful in getting involved into any business that revolved around oilfield work. It's about to get U.G.L.Y for those guys. Here in Louisiana, where the Haynesville Shale has kept our economy afloat since 2008. But with natural gas being as low as it has a lot of these companies have gone to oil and it's about to bust like a balloon.

Back