help with SRF wagyu brisket

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
today i will receive the 15 lb wagyu briskey from snake river.

i will be smoking it on my 22 WSM DOES ANY ONE HAVE TIPS FOR ME?

i never smoke briskets for some reason. Ill smoke over hick and cherry and rub with S&P or 1 of oakridge rubs.

i want to nail this one so please help out !!!

ill post pics when trimming tomorrow

Never done a waygu but i do plenty of primes.

There is more fat content, the flats come out excellent. The point can be a bit fatty, if its too much making it to burnt ends can render more fat out.

If I never have done brisket before, I would suggest running a few select or choice grade briskets first. You will gain some useful experience and your stress level will be lower and enjoyment will be higher when your cook the SRF brisket.

My $.02 and have fun!

thals everyone i guess i was wondering more if i should cook it fat up or down? no real heat issues from the bottom(water pan), also should i run no water?

I don't cook them any differently than any other brisket. I do find the finishing temp is higher, but the feel of it being done is the same.

In my experience they finish quicker so make sure not to overcook.

Last one I got was trimmed just right, I put it fat side down on my XL egg. Like Sako mine cooked in less time than I expected.

thals everyone i guess i was wondering more if i should cook it fat up or down? no real heat issues from the bottom(water pan), also should i run no water?

Water is up to you. I would cook fat down. that way you get a nice unblemished bark on the top and the point can shield the flat from whatever heat is coming from below (even with a water pan there will be heat.

I've been cooking Wagyu at higher temps (275-ish) and have loved the results. Just cook it until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat.

If you're getting it today and cooking tomorrow, I hope it thaws in time! SRF stuff usually comes frozen solid!

Good luck on your brisket, post lots of pics!

Cooking it sat or Sunday not sure yet I'll see how it goes
Is there a need to wrap in butcher paper from your experience with waygu

If it was me, fat down on a WSM. Always fat to the heat, and regardless of water pan or no, the heat in a WSM is coming from the bottom. I rarely need to go crazy trimming a SRF packer, maybe clean up the edges, remove some of the fat from between the point and flat.

I would consider cooking at around 260°F to 275°F, and not wrap. I have done faster and slower, and I like this range for rendering the fat from the point. Done right, there is no need to make burnt ends, as the bits and pieces that are on the edges are amazing, straight from the brisket.

If it was me, fat down on a WSM. Always fat to the heat, and regardless of water pan or no, the heat in a WSM is coming from the bottom. I rarely need to go crazy trimming a SRF packer, maybe clean up the edges, remove some of the fat from between the point and flat.

I would consider cooking at around 260°F to 275°F, and not wrap. I have done faster and slower, and I like this range for rendering the fat from the point. Done right, there is no need to make burnt ends, as the bits and pieces that are on the edges are amazing, straight from the brisket.

I agree 100% with the above. The only thing I do different is cook on a offset instead of a WSM.

Back