Making Italian Sausage

Sneaker98

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
As part of a continuing family effort of being thrifty, a little healthier (by making things from scratch), and keeping more food on hand as a matter of prepardness, I am having a go at making homemade Italian Sausage. We use a lot of it around here, it goes in spaghetti instead of ground beef and homemade pizza gets made a lot.

Found some Pork Butt for $1.89/lb so picked up a half to start with, about 5.5 pounds. Boned it and ran it through the KitchenAid grinder and came out with about 4.5 pounds of ground pork.

Researched some recipes on the internet. Started out simple.

4 tsp fresh ground fennel
4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp slightly ground red pepper flakes

Mixed it into the grind and cooked up a little piece. Not bad. Needs more salt for sure. The fennel and pepper is of course prominent, and will get stronger as the flavors marry. I think it might have been a bit too much black pepper though.

I'm going to play with it some more, adding a little more salt and fennel, probably some garlic and onion powders among other things. I will update as it goes.

If any of you farkers have a tried and true recipe, please share!

I add about a 1/2 cup or so of red wine to the mix when I do mine. Let it rest with the mix for a little while in the fridge and then stuff it into the casing. I also use whole fennel that I toast on the stove just before adding it. Gives the kitchen a nice aroma.

As I was typing this, I got an email from my wife that our local craft butcher shop invited me to a sausage making course in mid August. Seams like a fun way to part with a hundred bucks so my wife is signing me up for that and also the beef butchering class that follows it :whoo:

ground pork butt
salt
pepper
red pepper flake
red wine
pressed garlic
fennel seeds
fresh oregano
fresh parsley

Recipe? we don't need no stinkin recipe!, :mrgreen:

Once upon a time, I worked for an Italian butcher, and made many batches of fresh Italian sausage, about 20#'s at a time, this was the procedure.
Bone out butts and grind once,
spread out ground meat in a tote, and sprinkle on salt until surface was moderatly covered. Sprinkle black pepper, about half as much as the salt, sprinkle on fennel seed to lightly covered, add about a quart of water, mix well, stuff in casings. real technical stuff. :shock:

Funny thing, it always came out about the same, and nobody ever complained but thought it was great, and this was in an old school Italian neighborhood.
If making hot sausage, just add a handful of red pepper.

Apparently, making sausage can be as simple as that.
or, you can complicate the heck out of it. lol

This is what I ended up with.

4.5# Pork
5 tsp Salt
4 tsp blackpepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp red pepper
5 tsp fennel
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Came out pretty good, but there is room for improvement. Will know for sure once it gets to sit for a while. For now, I portioned it and got 6 - 8oz and 1 -12oz vacuum sealed bags.

I am sure I will continue playing with the mix next time I make it. And I will definitely try adding the red wine too.

Back