• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork butt on the UDS by 10pm

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Fired up the UDS for the first time in a while, and had her stabilized by 10pm. Put a 12lb butt dusted with Popdaddy's Butt Glitter on it and started to relax...Realized that I'd forgot the ABT'S and got to making them...Just about four for a sample, never tried them before and I wanted to see if I thought they'd be a good choice for the cook for 55 people next weekend....Gonna put a left over slab of baby-backs on first thing in the morning.
Gotta' give a taste to my wood guy, he just lives down the street and he set me up with a nice score of seasoned, dry maple for
20$...Sure beats buying chunks at the home improvement places.....
Said he's got a bunch of seasoned apple, and cherry as well....
I love maple with pork!

I'll post more pics when I pull the butt tomorrow..I'm figuring around 12 hours but gonna' start checking around 6.

At the end of the photo's are some pics of my new all-nighter companion,
she was pretty-much abandoned when her old owner moved out. Last saturday night when I was sitting out cooking the brisket she just jumped up in my lap, stayed there till morning, and helped with the cook. The wife and I appropriately named her "Smokey" and joined her in with the crowd...

firecrackerjack

003-7.jpg

004-6.jpg

005-8.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-8.jpg

004-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

010-6.jpg

Well should be well on the way by now. Don't forget the finished pics.

I say it will take around 13-15 hours to cook. Nice looking kitty. She looks so happy with you all :wink:

Mike

I agree with norco, the uds is fast, I guess because of the direct heat. Had to ruin a 10 lb brisky before I learned.

Well it's been 12.5 hours and she's not quite there yet. Been a long night and I'm kinda' disappointed. It's been cool here probably in the 40's all night(or low 50's). Since about the 6.5-7 hour mark I've had to knock the ash off and open all the intakes to get her going again....Not even any temp spikes when lifting the lid without closing the intakes....I used straight Kingsford(basically because I can buy it with the old coupons) with some seasoned maple. I usually use a mix of lump and some kingsford and hardwood...But Man it was like it would snuff itself out within a couple of hours..I'm guessing from the ash...Right now I've got all three intakes wide open and I'm only hiting 250*...Hope I got enough fuel left to go another 1.75 hours for the ribs.:frown:

002-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

006-4.jpg

How long has your cat been doing needlepoint and did she do the pillow behind her? My cat knits a little but nothing worth making into a pillow.

Wrong again. Dont tell my wife i admitted it.
Whats up with kf lately? My last bag was a disappointment. Bag before was Stubbs, worked great.

Wrong again. Dont tell my wife i admitted it.
Whats up with kf lately? My last bag was a disappointment. Bag before was Stubbs, worked great.

Like anything else you buy sometimes you get crap.

My wife bought me 10 of the small bags of KF from Sam's when they were on sale. I had nothing but problems with that batch which others said was probably because they were damp and that probably happened at the store.

How did it go firecracker?

Well it took 14.5 hours to reach about 195*-200*, probe felt tender going in...Wrapped in foil, covered in towels and rested in a cooler for another three hours. First time I tried the cooler and I am real happy with it..The pork was just about as hot when I took it out, as when I put it in....And when I pulled it, it was the most tender, moist pork I've ever done....:lol:
So even though the Uds was a battle this time, it was well worth the effort...The ribs I tried a 2.25-1.75-.75 and they were close to what I wanted after the foil, but then as you can see in the photo I think I went about 15 minutes too long back on the grill:icon_pissed. But then you know me and baby-backs...Love the things, but I just can't seem to be able to cook 'em right!:mrgreen:
Gave the ribs to my brother(you know he just loves 'em, even if lately they are always overdone), and I made up some North Carolina vinegar sauce for me and all that pulled pork...The wife made some potato salad, and oh yea the ABT's were great I'm gonna see if budget them into my brothers BBQ gig for next weekend!

Thanks for checking out my boring UDS cook

firecrackerjack

007-6.jpg

010-7.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-4.jpg

016-4.jpg

017-5.jpg

020-6.jpg

022-5.jpg

Back