Smoking with beech wood

krex1010

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've noticed folks regularly asking about what kind of woods are usable and best for a particular kinda BBQ.....so I figured I'd give a review of the beech tree, which is fairly common in the eastern U.S. I've used beech in the past for venison and pork, and yesterday for a beef clod heart. I have to say I'm a huge fan of the beech tree as a smoke wood! It's a sweet smelling smoke, along the lines of oak and hickory. Gives a terrific smoke ring, and goes really well with pork and red meat, I've used it for chicken but i usually go very light for poultry, maybe one or two pre-charred chunks (which I do for any wood not just beech) anyways I figured I'd give a shout out to a very common tree that I never see anyone talking about.

I also use nothing but Beech, and a little bit of Birch. It's amazing. Was able to get two cords of pure Beech, and I am really glad I did. Very underrated product, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. You're right about the smell, too. The thin blue smoke is sweet and intoxicating. My neighbors four houses down had to come see what the smell was coming from on Saturday.

I'm all about making use of locally available and easily acquired (I.e. Free) products. There's so much wood laying along roads that we might as well make use of it when possible. Beech gets two thumbs up from me, my next test is going to be mulberry, I just got a load for firewood and I saved a bunch of the chips and chunks from splitting.

Agreed on your thoughts on Beech. I love it for beef.

I've never tried Beech wood for smoking, but I'm going to see if I can round some up and do some testing myself. Thanks for the info.

Back