Turkey Question...

DetTigersFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I'm gonna be cooking a 14 lb bird Thursday on my WSM... I'm gonna use cherry and shoot for 300-350 degrees. Anyone with turkey experience have a ballpark timeline for a 14 pounder? I'm just wondering about how much time per lb I should be counting on.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Oh, on a side note I pulled the trigger on a Detroit Tigers orange Thermapen yesterday and the leather case. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday :biggrin1: Still sad that I missed out on the applewood limited edition, but I'll live.

Alright so I'm lookin at roughly 15-20 minutes per lb at 300-350* and shooting for an IT of 160-165?

Just did this yesterday

I would say around 4 hours. I thought internal temp. of white and dark were a little different? Sorry I had to use two meat thermometers (one in C and one in F).
Is it 170 breast/180 thigh?
I had a 15 lb bird and although I never got my temp. gauge to work, it was a little under 180F at about four hours.
Bird didn't even fit in the Weber, so I had smoke pouring out the sides.
I used a few chunks of cherry the first two hours, but backed off on the wood after that.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:
I would say around 4 hours. I thought internal temp. of white and dark were a little different? Sorry I had to use two meat thermometers (one in C and one in F).
Is it 170 breast/180 thigh?
I had a 15 lb bird and although I never got my temp. gauge to work, it was a little under 180F at about four hours.
Bird didn't even fit in the Weber, so I had smoke pouring out the sides.
I used a few chunks of cherry the first two hours, but backed off on the wood after that.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

The recommended safe temp is 165 for both light and dark meat. I prefer the texture of dark meat taken to 170-ish.

I agree, around 4 hrs, I prefer 170 degrees in both light/dark meat. The 12 lber (nonstuffed) I cooked today at 315 took 3 hrs. For Thursdays stuffed bird I'm adding an hour.

I agree, around 4 hrs, I prefer 170 degrees in both light/dark meat. The 12 lber (nonstuffed) I cooked today at 315 took 3 hrs. For Thursdays stuffed bird I'm adding an hour.

Wow nice... Awesome color on that. What kinda pit/wood did you use?

Wow nice... Awesome color on that. What kinda pit/wood did you use?

Thanks
UDS, applewood
When the bird was done, threw on some fresh Georgia pecans with butter,salt,garlic to be used in the stuffing for Thursday. Lots of folks showing up Thursday so I got one bird done today. With my right hand in a cast, had a lot of help from the wife as we work to get everything done/ready.

I would say for a 14 pounder I'd start checking at 3hrs at 300-325. Yesterday I did two 15lb birds on the stickburner at 300* and they were done at 4hrs so I'd think a single, smaller bird would be done before that.

4 hours huh? So that would be roughly 15-20 minutes per lb...
Anyone else with any opinions/experiences?

You bet. Cook it for exactly the number of minutes per pound that it takes until the thermometer says it is done.

I'm gonna start a couple of 17 pounders around 11:00am on the big log-eater, run 'em around 250, and based on past experience, take 'em off somewhere around 4 or 5pm. Just guessin', cuz I let the thermometer do all the talkin'.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll allow myself a 4.5 to 5 hour window for cook time and I'll be fine I think.

Mine take 3 hrs at 300*. 13-14-15 lbrs. I bought 11 Last Thanksgiving cuz thy were $.59/lb and I got 1 left.

Invest in a Thermoworks TW8060 dual channel and forget about time

Good luck must be difficult with only one hand
Thanks, the wife and I will have plenty of help from neighbors and friends handling the bird/birds.
I am right handed and still recovering from my left hand surgery :twitch: So I'm doing what I can, the wife just has more to do this year as she has to take up my part of the cooking of my dressing etc besides her family history of required parts for/of the meal. She doesn't like to have to run the UDS or any of my grills. The teacher want's it done his way, not how she see's fit. :thumb: And yes, being down your best hand is a PIArrssshhh.

Back