• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Santa Maria conversion for a weber kettle

Invintive. Looks well made. I would rather just have a santa maria style grill though. But pretty cool, I'm sure it'll blow someone's skirt up. :thumb:

I don't understand the point. Learn to use a kettle properly and you don't need that adjustable grate. Santa Maria grills are great, but, this makes no sense

I don't understand the point. Learn to use a kettle properly and you don't need that adjustable grate. Santa Maria grills are great, but, this makes no sense
This, plus I would not trust it not to tip. Those shelves stick out too far and it looks top heavy.

This, plus I would not trust it not to tip. Those shelves stick out too far and it looks top heavy.
Or have the legs collapse. The Kettle was designed for the weight of a grate loaded with meat, not 100 lbs of hardware plus a loaded grate. Mine is already shaky as hell with just a Craycort cast iron grate!

I am a year into heavy use with a kettle and I would confidently say you can accomplish the same result with an out-of-the-box kettle. I can get my kettle to hover at 225* for 6+ hours (with a smokenator, bit less without), or ramp it up to stupid sear temps. You can buy this ridiculous thing, or you can buy a 2nd kettle, used, for dirt cheap and set it up as needed and accomplish the same thing (and you end up a 2nd grill as a bonus).

Haha sorry for the rant, just dont want people to spend money stuff they dont need

Cool idea. Maybe not for a 22.5 though. Cool welding project on the other hand. I really like the half drum Santa Maria on the website. THAT gave me an idea for a welding project!:-D:shock:

If you want a Santa Maria grill, you could buy the small one on the website for about 60 bucks more than the kettle conversion.

Interesting idea, but, as noted, the legs are too weak. You need to be extra careful when cranking the thing to adjust grate height.
Besides, a round frame and grate would look a lot better on a kettle.

It's good marketing. A lot of us Weber disciples have an "I can do anything with my kettle" mentality and love our add ons. My Performer (kettle) with a Smoke EZ converter is my preferred apparatus for smoking. I don't think I would go as far as the Santa Maria conversion, but some might.

Meh, not on a kettle. For one I know how shaky mine is, and with all that top heavy weight I see meat hitting the ground and cuss words flyin.
I'd rather build my own out of a 55gal drum and have a true open pit. I'm sure some folks will go for em though, accessories are like used cars-there's an a$$ for every seat.

Back