So I Got.....

smokingmeats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
WP_20141116_003_zps7bea119b.jpg

WP_20141116_005_zps740e83fd.jpg

This smoker off of craigslist for $200. Its 2 55 gallon drums welded together. There are 2 racks for meats. A chimney with adjustable damper
2 temperature gauges.

It came with some ceramic stones. Ive never used those before. What purpose do ceramic stones serve?

Im the idiot that put my WSM on fire a few weeks ago...

Cant wait to try this new thing out this week.

Thoughts?

My guess is that they are used as a heat sink, similar to the water pan in a WSM, but that's just a guess :-D

Just imagine the possibilities of the size of a blaze you can produce with this rig!!!! Keep us posted. :behindsofa:

Cool

That looks like a neat little rig for all kinds of food and it is a vertical design of the horizontal, double barrel cooker I have seen before. After I had my pit for a while I learned about keeping fire bricks in the fire box to hold temps more consistently. This may be the same reason for the ceramic stones, especially in a thinner, metal sided cooker.

I plan on making a fire basket for this. Is there a type of steel for the mesh part of the basket that I should avoid? Sounds like I should avoid galvanized steel and use stainless.

Last edited:
This smoker off of craigslist for $200. Its 2 55 gallon drums welded together. There are 2 racks for meats. A chimney with adjustable damper
2 temperature gauges.

Looks like a large capacity cook is in your future....

It came with some ceramic stones. Ive never used those before. What purpose do ceramic stones serve?

I have to agree with Ron_L .... They probably sit on the lower shelf and act to even out the heat from the coals as it rises. I think without them consistency may be an issue with the heat. Try it and keep us posted...

Im the idiot that put my WSM on fire a few weeks ago... Cant wait to try this new thing out this week.

Consider it a learning experience that worked itself into an upgrade...

Keep us posted with your results....

Interesting UDDS. I look forward to seeing how it cooks.

I gotta know, though, what happened with the WSM? If it was posted here, I missed it.

I would notify the fire dept. before you fire that baby up. I'm always thinking ahead.

Back