Best hinges and latches for vertical cook chamber?

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm gearing up to take the plunge to build a vertical pit. In a nutshell, it'll be around 5'6" tall, made from a piece of 3/8" thick 24" diameter pipe. I'll weld on a bottom and a top and cut an access door on the lower end for the fire/coal basket and have ~4 cooking racks starting about 24" above the bottom of the fire basket. TBD still on how/if on a heat diffuser of some kind (noodling some kind of adjustable baffle, so i can close it off completely when opening the access doors and tending the food).

That design gives me a large access door for the cook chamber (little over 3' tall) and a smaller access door for the fire box. At 3/8" thick, I imagine its gonna be heavy. That brings me to my questions. I'm a beginner in the welding world, so I don't want to make my own parts and would rather buy quality hinges/latches that I can weld on to increase my chances of success. Are there some clear winners for those I should get? I'm guessing I should try to get the adjustable latches? Is there a rule of thumb for how many hinges and latches for these size doors?

Any advice on how to cut the door and process to get the easiest/best chance of success for air tight doors would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks all,
JD

Are you building something like this? If so, I have some recommendations but I don't know anything about welding.
VerticalSmoker.jpg

Oh yes, thats very close to what I had in mind. I actually think I ran across your thread and looked at the builders website to see if they had any info on that one (they don't that I could find). Definitely open to hearing your thoughts on it and what works, what don't, etc. My goal was to end up with a cross between a really tall, thick steel UDS with doors and an insulated vertical smoker given its 3/8" thick. I tend to rely on temp control fan assist as I usually am super busy with kids/sports/family and don't get to stay by the pit all day to tend it at this stage in my life. My UDS works out well here as I can put 10-20lb charcoal in it, some wood chunks and hook up my homemade raspberry pi blower based temp control to it and it will keep steady for 16+ hours. That's one of the reasons I keep leaning back towards the vertical direct design as I'm really "Hoping" that I can do something similar without needing a full blown fire to keep it up to temp. I really want access to the food/racks which is really tough on the UDS since it rages into a fire after a few seconds, so thats where I was leaning on some kind of adjustable/baffle style heat diffuser, but totally just taking a shot in the dark there. Any thoughts/feedback/experience from your pit would be fantastic.

Thanks a ton,
JD

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

Here's what I used when I modified this smoker from horizontal to vertical. Used 2 latches. Works perfect!

Oh yes, thats very close to what I had in mind. I actually think I ran across your thread and looked at the builders website to see if they had any info on that one (they don't that I could find). Definitely open to hearing your thoughts on it and what works, what don't, etc. My goal was to end up with a cross between a really tall, thick steel UDS with doors and an insulated vertical smoker given its 3/8" thick. I tend to rely on temp control fan assist as I usually am super busy with kids/sports/family and don't get to stay by the pit all day to tend it at this stage in my life. My UDS works out well here as I can put 10-20lb charcoal in it, some wood chunks and hook up my homemade raspberry pi blower based temp control to it and it will keep steady for 16+ hours. That's one of the reasons I keep leaning back towards the vertical direct design as I'm really "Hoping" that I can do something similar without needing a full blown fire to keep it up to temp. I really want access to the food/racks which is really tough on the UDS since it rages into a fire after a few seconds, so thats where I was leaning on some kind of adjustable/baffle style heat diffuser, but totally just taking a shot in the dark there. Any thoughts/feedback/experience from your pit would be fantastic.

Thanks a ton,
JD

After using mine here is what I missed or think would work better than my original design.

Exhaust: in the center with a handle to be able to reach it

Drain: need one with a ball valve to stop airflow while cooking but allow you to drain after cooking. could also be used to increase airflow if necessary.

Firebox door: make it bigger than you think so you can add fuel easier mid-cook and fit a larger charcoal basket

Intake: use a ball valve instead, much better control than what I have

Racks need at least 6" spacing for thicker meats and one closer to the fire for grilling. I had to seal my doors with high temp red RTV silicone because they leaked really bad. I have no clue on the baffle other than a plate that can be turned by a handle but that would take up a lot of space when wide open. Think of a rotisserie with a flat plate. Don't forget to add a way to hang sausage.

Back