Pulled pork taste.

RW34

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey gents, I've smoked two pork shoulders(at different times) and both came out with the same result. They come with more of a hammy taste not a pulled pork taste. I used Chris Lillys injection both times modified a bit with less salt. Both shoulders were purchased at Walmart. I do recall them saying they were injected with a solution. Could the solution be the reason for the hammy taste? Any other ideas as to why it's coming out with a hammy taste?

Thanks guys. I thought I read somewhere that enhanced shoulders are the problem with the hammy taste. Looking forward to trying one not enhanced now. Thanks again guys.

Yep, stick with labels that say "natural pork". Even labels saying "fresh pork" can still appear on meat that is enhanced... in the labeling world "fresh" means not hard frozen.

I have seen chicken that was injected with all-natural broth, and of course turkeys are injected with all sorts of ratios and different liquids, so it pays to read the fine print really close.

Enhanced meats are becoming a problem, even beef is enhanced and it all tastes like ham

To keep from making a mistake when the labeling is confusing I always look at the sodium content. Natural meat will have a minimal amount of sodium. <80mg is the norm. Anything way over that is a big red flag.

Fortunately for us we have several shoulders in the freezer that are definitely "enhanced" - put them there ourselves and we did not inject them with anything.

So, whenever possible, butcher your own and you will know for sure ... short of that - READ THAT LABEL

I bought a couple pre-marinated pork tenderloins to throw on the grill and they turned out like ham. Not just in flavor but in texture as well. I learned to get fresh tenders and do my own marinating.

Enhanced pork is becoming such the norm that I simply step over to the meat case in the grocery store and tell them I'd like to order pork that has not been enhanced.

They are always happy to order it for me. Just remember to plan a couple few days in advance so they can order them and get them in.

Back