Well that didn't last long

82's BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well I guess I am not totally done competing for a little while. I just found out about a local non-sanctioned bbq cookoff and decided to throw my name into the ring.
I figure the entry fee is cheap and it gives me a chance to experiment a bit. This competition will have 3 categories, Pork, Beef and Chicken. No specific cuts of meat. They will also have turn ins at 15 minute intervals (2:45, 3:00, 3:15). They will only have 3 judges.
So I figure this gives me some fun play room to do some different meats along side the usual.
My plan?
Beef - Brisket slices, burnt ends and Ribeye slices
Pork - Money muscle, ribs (sauced and unsauced) and sausage
Chicken - thighs, legs and breasts

I'm going for the WOW!!! factor

Fun time and a chance to experiment, but you can't look at the results and compare them to KCBS. I've cooked unsanctioned before and the judges were local restaurant owners. They had never even been to a competition before but knew all the local cooks personally. Wasn't even blind! Needless to say we didn't do well. Turned in the best pork box I've ever done, but got squat.

That's why I have always been hesitant to do non-sanctioned. Hopefully they'll build the event and make it sanctioned in the future.

LOL Butt Rubb'n. I don't like to quit either, but family matters weighed heavier than BBQ comps. I'm pretty sure I'll hit it heavy again in a few years.

Well I guess I am not totally done competing for a little while. I just found out about a local non-sanctioned bbq cookoff and decided to throw my name into the ring.
I figure the entry fee is cheap and it gives me a chance to experiment a bit. This competition will have 3 categories, Pork, Beef and Chicken. No specific cuts of meat. They will also have turn ins at 15 minute intervals (2:45, 3:00, 3:15). They will only have 3 judges.
So I figure this gives me some fun play room to do some different meats along side the usual.
My plan?
Beef - Brisket slices, burnt ends and Ribeye slices
Pork - Money muscle, ribs (sauced and unsauced) and sausage
Chicken - thighs, legs and breasts

I'm going for the WOW!!! factor

Thanks a lot to get timed and cooked perfect and into the box every 15 min.

Yeah I know. It will be interesting for sure. I'm hoping I can talk them into 30 minute intervals, if not then, GAME ON!!

Well that weekend rocked. Ended up getting 1st place in each category and a nice payday.
Here are the boxes that we turned in. I was running too close to turn in for beef, to get a pic of that box.
Chicken

Pork

wow, that looks awesome !!!
congrats on your 1st place in every category =)

Back