Some baby backs on the BGE.

Chris89Stang

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't have much experience bbqing ribs because my wife doesn't really care for them (and still married her!).

So I was kind of surprised when should she didn't care if I threw a couple of racks on the BGE this weekend.

I wanted to try it 2 different ways to see which one we liked better.

Both have the same rub (my pork rub). One I did 2 hours unwrapped, wrapped for an hour with honey, brown sugar, and a little apple juice, and then another hour on the smoker. I didn't sauce these. The other rack I just left on the smoker the whole time, not wrapping, and sauced them.

Here are some pics.

Rubbed up and ready to go on.

Chris-BGE-22.jpg

After 2 hours

Chris-BGE-23.jpg

One wrapped

Chris-BGE-24.jpg

Almost done!

Chris-BGE-25.jpg

Finished product

Chris-BGE-26.jpg

Chris-BGE-27.jpg

Everybody said they liked the rack that I didn't wrap and sauced better than the other. I think the rack that I wrapped was a little more tender but they were real close. Maybe I should have sauced both of them but I think for the next time I won't wrap because it didn't really do much.

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

I would say either rack would work for me, they both look great.

I did a similar test with SLC's. One rack nekkid all the way, the other nekkid for 2 hours, wrapped for one with no additives, nekkid until done. No sauce on either as I serve it on the side.

The wrapped rack was slightly juicier, but the other rack was not dry. I pulled them both when they were all bendy, so both racks were tender with just a slight pull. My decision was that if I was just making a rack or two for us, I would wrap. If I am making more for a party, they can go nekkid.

The wrapped rack was slightly juicier, but the other rack was not dry. I pulled them both when they were all bendy, so both racks were tender with just a slight pull. My decision was that if I was just making a rack or two for us, I would wrap. If I am making more for a party, they can go nekkid.

First nice job Chris!

Terry I can't even tell you how excited I am about my new rib process partly because even though they are cooked nekkid the whole time they are also juicier than any wrapped ribs i've had.

Very nice!

I tried some baby backs this weekend as well, went with the simplest method I found (K.I.S.S. tends to be best for me) 250 on the BGE for 4hrs. Came out fantastic! I'd like to try the wrap method but I'm not generally a fan of the real sweet rib.

I use to wrap my ribs, but found out that they were just as good running néekid so since then that is what I have been doing.

Both look great!

I'm a wrapper since my women folks (three generations) prefer them that way.

Looks good. Last time I did ribs I did the wrapped/no wrapped comparison. I liked the nekkid but the GF liked the wrapped. Then I again I don't like my meat to be mush.

Looks good! What temp you cook them?

That makes sense as I do my spares @ 275* and they are usually done right around 4 hours.

Back