Are there any good Santa Maria + Smoker pits out there?

jd-santaclarita

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm hoping to get some advice. I've got very limited backyard space to work with and want to try to maximize my pit footprint. I've got a built in stone island with a gasser (not in love but its good for grilling up the week night meals). I have a nice UDS that I've automated and love to tinker with it when I have the time. I'm going to put it on wheels to put in on the side of house out of the way.

What I really want is a nice insulated vertical smoker like the lone star grillz units AND a nice santa maria style pit. I do a TON of tri tips and chicken (i'm in socal by magic mountain). I don't have enough room for that. I don't need a big unit as I usually cook for less than 15 people, mostly for like 8 people. I do want some quality pits though, upgrading from a UDS to a nice insulated vertical pit (charcoal/wood chunks) would be fantastic.

All that to say, does anyone make a really nice combo unit that would suit both my desires to have a really nice insulated smoker AND feed my urge to cook over a bed of coals with a santa maria style pit that anyone has used or can vouch for? Thoughts, advice or ideas welcome.

Thanks.
JD

You may want to take a look at the M1. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's pretty damn close.

The smoker is a reverse offset, not insulated cabinet. And the grill is an Assasin or Hasty Bake style grill instead of a true Santa Maria. But I think it's the closest you're going to find that is a true smoker and true grill in one.

I have one and love it.

I just ordered from Arizona BBQ outfitters lover their customer service and their build times are what they say they are i went a little bigger then what you want but if you look at their site or call them you will be happy with whay you get.
Don1.jpg

FWIW, I have a Pitmaker Vault next to an AZ BBQ 48" Scottsdale grill and a Weber Genesis sitting on a little 10x10 grilling island in my micro sized CA backyard. Footprint on the Vault is minimal (considering). The Scottsdale needs some space because of the counter weight on the lid. I cook for a hoard of locusts... err... extended family, of over 30 plus regularly, and I can't remember the last time I ran out of cooker space.

Yes on Az BBQ Grills... David can custom make anything you want... My guess insulating the Tombstone can be done and the Scottsdale cooker is second to none and can use sticks or coals. If you got the cash David will accommodate you.

http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page5/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, great info and have my mind going wild. Those AZBBQgrills look beautiful. I didn't quite think of the space needed for the huge counter balance, i'll have to dive in a bit on where exactly I'd put it to get a feel for what will fit. That pitmaker vault looks super nice too. That style of pit seems like it could hang butted up against the wall on the side of house and rolled out into the back patio in seconds when I want to fire it up (or just fire it on side of house if im not looking for bbq ambiance..i.e. being lazy).

This smaller santa maria style pit keeps catching my eye as well. It runs on oak chunks and uses tons of airflow to burn efficient/hot on a smaller amount of wood. Wood isn't the easiest/cheapest thing here in socal, so thats fairly appealing. Doesnt solve my all-in-one nice pit, but wondering if anyone has any experience on this design: http://www.buckaroogrills.com/

Thanks
JD

Back