Smoking/grilling chicken thighs

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought some chicken thighs with the skin on. Do you want the skin on or off for bbq?

Completely up to you. If you eat the skin - leave it on... I just keep it on just so I don't burn the meat :-D

well I love it when I fry the chicken. Just dont think I have ever had any with the skin on and bbq. Ill give it a shot tomorrow

Absolutely leave it on! I do thighs and drumsticks, quarters, and whole chickens cut in half, always with the skin on. It soaks up sauce, and fat conveys flavor better than anything. 3-4 hours at a light 250 will get it so succulent and saucy that that it melts in your mouth and blends with the pullable dark meat, carefully held with two hands so that it doesn't fall off the bone between the plate and your mouth.

I brine it, spray it with a 1-to-3 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple cider, pepper it liberally, and cook for 2 or 2.5 hours. Don't look. Then, I'll sauce it with lowcountry SC mustard-based goodness on both sides, leave the skin side up, and cook for another hour or so, dolloping more sauce on top every 20 minutes (my smoker gets back up to temp very quickly). Be sure to warm your sauce first, so you won't lower the temp of your meat too much during application.

Good luck!

I leave mine on just to help keep it moist, but I usually take it off when I eat it because I have yet to master the bite through skin? :icon_blush:
DSC01044.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

I like the skin on myself.. I smoke it low 225 on the wsm and finish it on the the weber kettle to crisp the skin.

Skin on...and learn to smoke it properly so the skin isn't like a slab of rubber. Also...smoke it with the right amount of smoke for poultry so it isn't too strong (or too black).

I do it both ways. Skin on, loosen the skin to get any rubs or marinade up under the skin. I think they stay moister this way.
I like them skin off, tumbled in a rotisserie basket and sauced or mopped.
If you are watching fats, skin off.

Back