Another First UDS - Dreaded Liner of Doom!

I measured my basket again and it's 3" up from the bottom of the ash pan. The risers are gone and I have moved the gate valves to the bottom on both sides of the drum. I still have an opening in the front that eventually will house a PID controlled fan. The PID is posing some issues with wiring at the moment. I won't use it very often, but I have the controller so I might as well build it.

I'm glad I read this. I was debating putting pipes on my new build but a lot of the guys said nah to it. And holy cow. Those ribs and chicken look amazing. Laying in bed at 1030 at night looking at bbq pron.... so hungry.

I'm glad I read this. I was debating putting pipes on my new build but a lot of the guys said nah to it. And holy cow. Those ribs and chicken look amazing. Laying in bed at 1030 at night looking at bbq pron.... so hungry.

They were tasty!

What diameter is the exhaust?

What did the drum hold, initially?

The two risers were 3/4 inch black pipe. I have the valves going directly into the bottom of the drum now. If the weather breaks i'm going to put some coals in it tonight. I might also drop the basket from 3 to 2 inches from the bottom.

I'm in the camp that believes it's better to have too much intake and exhaust than not enough. You can always close off the intake a bit to lock into a desired temp. But if you can't open your intakes enough to hit a desired temp (like chicken at 375F), you are dead in the water.

Every time I see these UDS builds with skinny risers, I see a handicapped UDS.

Definitely open it up some. I think the BGE style UDS intakes will be the way I go on my next build, but four 1" holes covered by magnets works great too.

Back