15.7# Choice brisket cook - Pr0n

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Picked up a 15.7# Choice packer yesterday from HEB, at $1.97/#. The one I chose had a real nice thick flat, not tapering off to super-thin, so I figured this could be a winner.

Got up about 7:15 this morning to get things ready. I’m going to be running my 22.5 WSM at about 280 (since that is where it tends to settle) and we probably won’t eat until early evening so there was no need to get up at O-dark-thirty. Fired up a chimney of about 18 KBB briquettes and then assembled the base of the WSM. I’m using the empty coffee can in the middle Minion method. Put in 5 or 6 small-to-medium chunks of Pecan in a radius so they light at different stages of the cook. Poured in the lit, pulled out the can, assembled the rest of the WSM. I am using a disposable pan on the lower rack to catch juices and hopefully can use it for au jus for the sliced flat.

While the WSM was burning off the heavy white smoke and coming up to temp, I trimmed the brisket. It’s big! Probably cut off 1.5# or so of fat, so we essentially have 14# to go into the smoker. Put on a healthy dose of SPOG rub (Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder).

9 AM
I put the brisket on the WSM about 10 minutes ago, fat side down. Still some white puffy smoke coming out but not too bad. Dome temp read 275.

9:45 AM
Dome temp reads 300, grate temp at 275. Backed the lower vents from halfway open to about 1/8” each. Top vent WFO. Nothing but thin blue smoke coming out.

Last edited:
11:10 am

Checked the weather radar and there are a few rumblies out there that could track down my world HQ. So I put up the canopy. Note the fine fine blue folding chair: it has kept me company on many a cook.
Nudged open the lower vents just a bit as temps dropped a little, but it probably wasn't necessary.

12:50 pm

Ok, it's been on for 4 hours now so it's time to take the first look.
Hmm, has some nice color going at this point. The lower pan is catching some of that juice: excellent. You can see the thermometer probe sticking through from the side grommet: love how Weber did this as standard on the 22.5 model.
I'll probably give it another hour then wrap in butcher paper.

Hmmm how long have you owned your WSM ? Mine has no side grommet hole ??

1:50 pm

I'm thinking it's time to wrap. Got my handy dandy lifetime supply roll of pink butcher paper: let's use some.

Here's what it looks like now. I did some temp probes, and the average reading was 172. Guessing it will stall for a while: whatevs.

Transferred it to my luxurious plastic folding table (so glad I invested in insulated gloves: so miffed that the pair came as two lefties). Wrapped it up ok and put it back into the WSM. Looks like this:

Will probably do a probe test about 3:30 to see where we stand.

Doug S: I've had this about 3 years or so now.

Fat up or down, after the wrap?
My lean side gets a little too crunchy for me, when I put the fat up.
Looking good from here.

3:50 pm

Had to play taxi service for one of my teenagers for a bit. I'm sure no one here can relate.

Got back and the WSM is just purrin' along at 280 at the grate. Gosh I love this smoker!

Pulled the brisket out, unwrapped and did a look-see. Probe still meeting with moderate resistance, internal temps about 190. This brisket is not giving it up yet!

Re-wrapped it (mikemci, it is still fat side down. I think.), put it back in the heat. Will check it again probably at 5.

4:50 pm

Pulled it out and checked it again. Some of the probe tests did indeed go in "like buttah", but the ones where I think I truly was hitting the thickest part of the flat still had some resistance.

Must... resist the... urge to... pull it too soon! (in best William Shatner rhythm).

I'm thinking another half hour and we may be there.

5:30 pm

This sucka is done cooking!
Pulled it out, did probe tests for tenderness: yes! I don't cook to an internal temp, but like to check anyway for grins and a point of comparison. My readings were all between 199 and 202.
Took the brisket sitting on its butcher paper and put it on the kitchen counter, totally open to vent. Giving it about 30 minutes to start coming down in temp then will wrap it in a new piece of butcher paper, then wrap in a couple of beach towels and put it in the Igloo for an hour, or until we're about ready to eat.

Here's the beauty!

6:20 pm

The brisket is resting comfortably in towels, inside an Igloo.

Put on some sausage on the WSM. One ring of Prasek's Hilljie beef sausage, and about 8 links of some chicken/mozzarella sausage that we had kickin' it in the fridge.

We'll probably be eating around 7:20 or so.

Pics will be forthcoming.

7:30 - Dinner Time

Well, it was really good! Good beef flavors, the right amount of smokiness. As always I wish the flat was moister but the point more than made up for it.

Now here's a mess of sausage.

A blurry pic of some nice sliced flat. You can see a well-defined smoke ring, good bark color, and moist slices (especially as I kept slicing toward the point!). This makes me happy.

Obligatory bend test. Also, when I did the pull test it performed well: slight tug, and you could see the collagen had broken down. Stubbs sauce in the backyard: between that and Head Country, my two favorites.

The Money Shot. This shows it all: sliced flat, chopped and chunked point, end pieces with crunchy goodness. What you don't see is that off to the side is half the point and at least half the flat, still not sliced or chopped! This was a big honkin' brisket.

I'm about to slip into a meat-induced, glazed-over stupor. Where's my iced tea...?

Back