For the first time ever

fat_bastard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The local Costco finally has full briskets. They've always had the flats, bt never the whole briskets. I was in there today and saw whole prime brisket for $2.99/lb. So I got me a 10 pounder. Now I've gotta figure out how to cook this sucker in my UDS. I've honestly not done much smoking recently, but I figure I like basic salt and pepper on my beef, but not sure about time and temp for beef. What say you brethren?

This is great news! You are only a little over an hour away from my Costco. If we get the prime packers here for that price I will have to buy another freezer.

:cheer2::dancer:

$2.99 for prices? That's an awesome price. I would have bout as may as my freezer could hold. nice score!!

The local Costco finally has full briskets. They've always had the flats, bt never the whole briskets. I was in there today and saw whole prime brisket for $2.99/lb. So I got me a 10 pounder. Now I've gotta figure out how to cook this sucker in my UDS. I've honestly not done much smoking recently, but I figure I like basic salt and pepper on my beef, but not sure about time and temp for beef. What say you brethren?

id study up on trimming (which is fairly straight-forward and simple with a very sharp knife).

You can't go wrong @ 225. Equal parts of salt/pepper work fine. Id recommend adding some hungarian paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder to the mix myself.

The time .. thats a subjective thing. Its all about meat temperature and tenderness. at 225 degrees you're likely looking at at least 10 hours (im guessing youll trim 1-2 pounds of fat off it) making the brisket 8-9 pounds.

congratulations on your local costco getting the standard 2.99 all day pricing on prime brisket. BTW ..if you buy a case the price goes to 2.90.

Me personally .. i stroll through my costco meat department a few times a week buying the best briskets from the lots (which sometimes there are none) and freeze them. I try to have several around the same size at any given time.

Lastly, costco typically carries IBP ... occasionally youll see some branded certified angus .. and id buy those up if you see them. They tend to be much thicker, more uniform, and less wide... and cook much better than the standard primes they stock.

This is best pharkin news I've heard all year! I have hounded those guys for years about the terrible 7.99/lb price for USDA choice flats. I'm out of town but will have the wife buy three.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely update when I get around to cooking it.

This is best pharkin news I've heard all year! I have hounded those guys for years about the terrible 7.99/lb price for USDA choice flats. I'm out of town but will have the wife buy three.

There were not many in the cooler. It looked like maybe this was just a test run of selling them. I was in there late Saturday afternoon and there were 4 I believe and I got one. We were in Gulf Shores all week so I don't know when they got them in.

Now all we need is for them to get the bone-in Boston Butts again...

Now all we need is for them to get the bone-in Boston Butts again...

^^^^ Amen Brother! I keep hoping they'll get a nice quality bone - in shoulder.

Good luck on the Brisky - Since I'm not too far away, I'm keeping my eyes peeled at my Costco to see if they show up - I'd love to try one out:cool:

I'd keep it simple as well - for me, the brisket is about how juicy you can get it, not necessarily trying to make it taste like something other than beef...

@offshore_SoLA What does "IBP" stand for - I assume P is for prime?

i believe its "Iowa Beef Producers" and is now owned by Tyson. Its commodity beef.

Prime is prime though... and Costco down here is the king of prime selection and price of all beef. They have prime whole tenderloin 12.49/pound.

As far as having 4 packers... thats a case and id be willing to bet they had a bunch more in the back. next time you go ask if they have any more. Don't be too selective initially because costco butchers are busy. As they get to know you... as you go back more and more they seem to be more willing to thumb through the piles of briskets in the back to find one that suits what you are asking for.

I show up and the butcher guy already knows what I require and shakes his head yes or no before I even ask. In other words - after requesting a thick less wide thicker flat 16-20 pound packer several dozen times he has them ready on thursday. If i don't pick them up they go out in the bin.

I'd like to think anyone and everyone can do this at costco provided you aren't a backofdicks. I might even suggest offering the butcher guys some of the cooked product.

Back