• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A couple 50+ year old Weber grills

My dad had Plainsman, when he died my sister put up a bitch fit and got it, of course she let it go to hell and ended up throwing it away without telling anybody, still today I curse her for that.

Nice grills by the way! Thanks for sharing.

I love seeing old webers. Mine is not vintage but I love it too. I wish they made more colors now.

Beautiful webers! Such a simple design, yet no other brand can match it... it is truly one of those special products that hold memories and legacies.

I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but seems like a good thread to share this story (note: I only realize the details looking back in hindsight now)... I grew up with my dad cooking on a weber kettle, never really looked at it in any way other than a "bbq" or "charcoal grill". As I got older, I definitely started to very slowly notice his attachment to that kettle and also noticed how the food was awesome. He passed away in 2006 when I was 18, we were best friends (and at this point I can chuckle at the fact he was going to give me the recipe of his "secret" rub a few days later.... it was, no word of a lie, a great rub. To this day, I still have that in the back of my mind when I come up with new creations.) He had a huge influence on my enjoyment cooking (and thinking out of the box).

The crazy twist in this story just happened about a month ago, and it really shocked me. It wasn't until the last few years that I really became an avid bbq'er, and really got into weber kettle grills. I was at the cottage (my uncle owns it now, my dads brother) a month or so ago, and we went to the neighbours house for dinner. She was aware of my grilling endeavours (as I post photos on facebook sometimes) and mentioned she just finished a restoration of a 40 year old weber kettle. Obviously, I got excited so we went to the garage to check it out. It was stunning, no rust, original handles, perfect round fit. Then she said, do you want it? I said "no no, I got a few of them back home... keep it and put it to good use and I look forward to what you cook next on it". Then she said, it was my dad's old weber kettle. I was shocked. I still didn't accept it, but asked if she would give me first right of refusal on it when she was finished with it. Since then, she suggested setting it up as a communal bbq for our friends (love that idea). But I was blindsided at the fact that she preserved it and sourced all original proper-era parts for anything that needed replacement.

For people that haven't spent time cooking on a Weber Kettle grill, it's hard to understand the satisfaction that comes from using such a simple tool to create amazing food and seeing the satisfaction from friends and family. But what shocked me through this whole situation was how it is more than just a grill. It is one of the few grills that is current today that holds memories and legacies. The same steak would turn out the same 50 years ago as it would turn out now. It was the introduction to the world of barbecue for so many, and it holds sentiments unlike any other grill. And in my situation, I couldn't believe that after all this time, that my dad would still have an influence on my life - all through a weber kettle grill.

Sorry for rambling haha, but if you take a step back and look at the progression of Weber and how they influenced the bbq industry, there's nothing you can do but smile!.... and loosen your belt.

Zach

Last edited:
Great story Zach. Thanks for sharing it!

Beautiful webers! Such a simple design, yet no other brand can match it... it is truly one of those special products that hold memories and legacies.

I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but seems like a good thread to share this story (note: I only realize the details looking back in hindsight now)... I grew up with my dad cooking on a weber kettle, never really looked at it in any way other than a "bbq" or "charcoal grill". As I got older, I definitely started to very slowly notice his attachment to that kettle and also noticed how the food was awesome. He passed away in 2006 when I was 18, we were best friends (and at this point I can chuckle at the fact he was going to give me the recipe of his "secret" rub a few days later.... it was, no word of a lie, a great rub. To this day, I still have that in the back of my mind when I come up with new creations.) He had a huge influence on my enjoyment cooking (and thinking out of the box).

The crazy twist in this story just happened about a month ago, and it really shocked me. It wasn't until the last few years that I really became an avid bbq'er, and really got into weber kettle grills. I was at the cottage (my uncle owns it now, my dads brother) a month or so ago, and we went to the neighbours house for dinner. She was aware of my grilling endeavours (as I post photos on facebook sometimes) and mentioned she just finished a restoration of a 40 year old weber kettle. Obviously, I got excited so we went to the garage to check it out. It was stunning, no rust, original handles, perfect round fit. Then she said, do you want it? I said "no no, I got a few of them back home... keep it and put it to good use and I look forward to what you cook next on it". Then she said, it was my dad's old weber kettle. I was shocked. I still didn't accept it, but asked if she would give me first right of refusal on it when she was finished with it. Since then, she suggested setting it up as a communal bbq for our friends (love that idea). But I was blindsided at the fact that she preserved it and sourced all original proper-era parts for anything that needed replacement.

For people that haven't spent time cooking on a Weber Kettle grill, it's hard to understand the satisfaction that comes from using such a simple tool to create amazing food and seeing the satisfaction from friends and family. But what shocked me through this whole situation was how it is more than just a grill. It is one of the few grills that is current today that holds memories and legacies. The same steak would turn out the same 50 years ago as it would turn out now. It was the introduction to the world of barbecue for so many, and it holds sentiments unlike any other grill. And in my situation, I couldn't believe that after all this time, that my dad would still have an influence on my life - all through a weber kettle grill.

Sorry for rambling haha, but if you take a step back and look at the progression of Weber and how they influenced the bbq industry, there's nothing you can do but smile!.... and loosen your belt.

Zach

Back